Magellan Explorist 210 WAAS Capability

whitneymvp

Hi all,

I have a Magellan Explorist 210 but have not seen it show WAAS.

One thread here said you could turn WAAS on or off by going to a "secret menu" (Menu, L,R,L,R,L) and entering 03. When I do that the Sat are shown as 120 and 122. That same post said that these were the OLD sats. The new ones are 135 and 138. Can anyone tell me how to change these, or am I stuck?

Also, an even more basic question ... How do I tell if I'm enabled and getting WAAS accuracy?

Thanks, Dave

Hi all,

I have a Magellan Explorist 210 but have not seen it show WAAS.

One thread here said you could turn WAAS on or off by going to a "secret menu" (Menu, L,R,L,R,L) and entering 03. When I do that the Sat are shown as 120 and 122. That same post said that these were the OLD sats. The new ones are 135 and 138. Can anyone tell me how to change these, or am I stuck?

Also, an even more basic question ... How do I tell if I'm enabled and getting WAAS accuracy?

Thanks, Dave

I'm a 210 (&500) owner also - check out this recent thread - it all may depend on whether you have either a brand-spankin new 210 w/ 2007 firmware or one w/ older firmware which wasn't turned on during a change in WAAS satellites this summer...

I had the older firmware & did the 2.5.7 EU firmware update & now have WAAS again. If you do this, back up your basemap first as the firmware on Magellan's site currently will replace your current map w/ the EU one..

Edited by Ernmark

Thanks for the speedy reply but I'm still confused. If I go to the Magellan site and try to update the Explorist 210 there is no update. When I call Magellan tech support (Two times to get different people) they say there is no update available.

If I go to the Magellan site and try to download an update for something other than the 210 it won't let me because I'm not registered as owning it.

Have you been able to update your 210 with the european 2.5.7 EU firmware sucessfully? How were you able to get the software? Is there a "workaround"?

Overall I like the 210 very much but it's frustrating to know that it's WAAS enabled but can't work with the satelite setup of 2008.

Any ideas?

The Magellan 210 update only shows if you look under "210 Europe" - see link. The version currently available from Magellan replaces your North American basemap w/ the European one (thus the advice to back up your basemap first & copy back over after the upgrade.

Also, which firmware do you have right now? You'll know as soon as you power up - it's in the upper right hand corner (& you'll see either "©2005 Thales Navigation" or "©2007 Magellan"). If yours is older, you can do the EU upgrade...I've heard the w/ 2007 sometimes the the upgrade won't work.

I had the older firmware & did it w/ the help of this thread

Here's exactly what I did (at my own risk, of course):

1 - Powered up unit - goes into USB mode - selected "File Transfer" & PC recognizes unit.Message reads "upload from firmware" & "working" ---[note - this was after I erased my unit due to another problem (NAND loop) so the "upload from firmware" message may not apply here..you can also check threads for the 500 EU update..pretty much the same steps.]

2 - when complete, click on file "pldup.exe" from unpacked software (downloaded from site listed in thread which took care of the basemap problem).

3 - GPS will read in intimidating all-caps: "SOFTWARE UPLOAD MODE - ACTIVE" (ACTIVE will switch to ERASING & then WRITING")

4 - in a few minutes, the pc software will indicate "software upload complete".

Whole deal took about 10 minutes - the 3 "new" screens are sweeeet (of the 3 - I mostly use the "large print" screen!

..the 210 seems to be more responsive & acquires birds faster upon startup....and I've got WAAS (same thing w/ a 'new' old firmware 500 I upgraded that never showed WAAS before)

Don't try if you're squeamish about computers, & read thru the threads first, in case I forgot to mention anything :)

PS - almost forgot...if embra was here, he'd tell you to also check http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/magellan/explo...0/firmware.html !

Edited by Ernmark

Thanks Ernmark. I'll find some time tomorrow and see how it works out.

Magellan may still block me from downloading because my serial # is not european and I've registered as being in the uS.

The main reason I want to do this is to get WAAS capability with the new satelites. If this firmware works, will it get me WAAS?

Thanks

There were quite a bit of recent discussion on Yahoo's Explorist group about firmware upgrade for the 500. You may be able to deduce where one can find the 2.57 firmware.

Question of curiosity, what are the first 3 digits of the serial number of your Explorist 210. The available evidence for the 500 strongly indicates that those units with serial numbers starting with 118 are upgradable, and those starting with 133 are not.

Clement

No luck. I tried downloading 2.5.7 but Magellan wants a vaild serial number for a Explorist 210 europe! I;m stuck before I can even try to screw up my 210! lol

By the way, when the 210 boots up it does show the 2005 Thames Navigation, Version 3.1.75

No luck. I tried downloading 2.5.7 but Magellan wants a vaild serial number for a Explorist 210 europe! I;m stuck before I can even try to screw up my 210! lol

By the way, when the 210 boots up it does show the 2005 Thames Navigation, Version 3.1.75

..that was my situation. I downladed from here. This has NA basemap included (I'd still back yours up, just in case..you need to make sure you see System Files in Windows).

THANK YOU ENMARK, for your good advice!!

I used the link listed above and the update went as smooth as silk! Now I have more new screens that have more info. It LOOKS like I'm now tracking sat #120 and #138 (138 is one of the new WAAS Sats). I'm waiting to see how accurate it is now. So far it hasn't locked on 138.

Even if it doesn't get WAAS, it is still better than before because of new screens.

I had my 400 registered as a NA unit and therefore could not get the 2.57 update. I reregistered it, using the same serial number of course, as a European unit and was able to download the EU 2.57 firmware without any problems. I definitely like the greater capabilities with WAAS and the new screens. If you don't want the screens by the way, you can disable each of them individually.

I did the same update with the 210 only using the link in ERNMARK's posting that has the 2.57 with the NA basemap already included, worked fine as well.

Edited by BikeKacher

To save your basemap, follow the instructions from GPSFAQs. Basically you just save a copy of the basemap.mgi file.

Geognerd,

Here's a cut-n-paste of the instructions:

-----How can I backup the included basemap to protect myself against the dreaded "NAND problem"?

Conneect your Magellan Explorist 400™ to your computer. Choose menu->advanced->communications->file transfer->internal memory. The contents of the device's memory will show up as a mounted disk on your computer. The directory (folder) is 'Background Maps' and the file you need to save is 'BASEMAP.MGI'.

Windows users may have to explictly enable showing hidden and system files to see it. -------

When I go through the steps described in the link I can pull up seven folders that my PC is reading on the GPS. When I click on Background maps folder it appears to be empty. I use a Windows PC. Would "explictly enable" have something to do with why I can's see the 'BASEMAP.MGI'?

How do I "explictly enable" my computer?

In order to "Explictly enable" the computer, when in Windows Explorer, go to tools > folder options > view and then uncheck "Hide protected operating system files". When you do this the computer will ask you if you are sure or something like that. Tell it yes and then hit apply. This will allow you to see the BASEMAP.MGI file. Save this file to a folder on your computer specifying that this is the NA (North American) file because the EU basemap is also called BASEMAP.MGI and there always is a possibility of a mixup. When you are all done upgrading your eXplorist :D go back and recheck the option in the view menu.

In order to "Explictly enable" the computer, when in Windows Explorer, go to tools > folder options > view and then uncheck "Hide protected operating system files". When you do this the computer will ask you if you are sure or something like that. Tell it yes and then hit apply. This will allow you to see the BASEMAP.MGI file. Save this file to a folder on your computer specifying that this is the NA (North American) file because the EU basemap is also called BASEMAP.MGI and there always is a possibility of a mixup. When you are all done upgrading your eXplorist :D go back and recheck the option in the view menu.

Bikecacher.

I , being a computer fraidycat, will attempt all this "Euro-upgrade, save-basemap, to get WAAS" stuff after smoking on it for a while. :D

Thanks for the info.

BikeKacher,

I did what you said to try and allow me to to see (or copy) that basemap file. My puter still can't see the GPS's hidden files.

I think I'll just wait till I can get together with a local person who could do all this. I'm skilled at a few things, but computers ain't one of them. My GPS is still accurate enough for what I need it for without WAAS. Thanks for the info anyway.

I hate to piggy-back... but I just bought a 210 off ebay, and I've yet to see any WAAS symbol and the 03 menu says 122 and 134.

I have spent hours googling and reading and I'm just not sure how to best proceed.

Here are my menu 00 Specs:

explorist 210

ver 3.1.88

release

Apr 17 2007 (just before the waas sat changes)

Should I attempt the euro 2.57 firmware install 'downgrade'? Has anyone with 3.1.88 done this??

Would a so called 'master reset' help?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

In reality this should be a upgrade, going from 1.88 to 2.57.

Both of my units give the satellite numbers as 135 & 138. I really don't remember what the numbers were before the upgrade and I cannot tell you anything about possible hardware differences.

In the procedure that I listed for being able to see the basemap, you also need to push the "Radio Button" in that same directory (Tools -> Folder Options -> View) that says "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Sorry 'bout that, I normally keep that option active so I never thought about it.

In reality this should be a upgrade, going from 1.88 to 2.57.

Both of my units give the satellite numbers as 135 & 138. I really don't remember what the numbers were before the upgrade and I cannot tell you anything about possible hardware differences.

In the procedure that I listed for being able to see the basemap, you also need to push the "Radio Button" in that same directory (Tools -> Folder Options -> View) that says "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Sorry 'bout that, I normally keep that option active so I never thought about it.

I don't know what happened, I posted this but it did not show up so I posted it again, I hope that it does not end up showing twice.

Oh Well!!

Edited by BikeKacher

Thanks BikeKacher for the help.

I expanded the .exe (rename the file from .exe to .zip and then unzip).. tried to de-compile the .dat files but I really couldn't find much as it seems to all be proprietary code....

I did find in the USB0002.dat file where the text is for the '03' menu (ie. "Sat" "State" "SNR"...) line 7513 in a text editor, but that's all I could find.

Tried the 2.57 update and it did not work. ;-/ After more internet searching I found where others with the 3.1.88 version are unable to use the 2.57 update so I was not really that surprised.

For me.. I ran the update and it appeared to be uploading the files, however, the unit did not turn off during the update.

As far as what it did to the unit, I can see two new files under usbtrans folder.

usb0002.ack and usb0002.don Both text files.

.don it says: BAD012

FIRMWARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH UNIT

.ack says:

ACK012

The only other idea I have is to change the version number in my unit_id.dat file to 1.75 (or 1.77 which ever is the one that others have had success with) However, I'm afraid I'd brick the unit and it's not really worth it.

BTW, I called Magellan just for fun. The CSR was very nice and talked to his supervisor a few times about this.

The final answer was that Magellan considers the 210s 'legacy' now so no firmware update is planned. He then tried to convince me that the WAAS runs in the background and I won't see any evidence of it's functionality......

In turms of upgrade, he offered to transfer me to sales noting that I'd probibly get 30-40% credit towards a 400 if I wanted to.

Too bad... I really like the unit...

Anyway, FWIW

Brian

Sorry to hear that your 210 did not take the EU 2.57 firmware. Some of us are still trying to piece together the information of which unit can be upgraded and which cannot. One of the deciding factor seems to be the first 3 digits of the serial number. So, my question: what are the first 3 digits of the serial number of your 210? You can find it from the "about" screen. A previous post on this thread says that a 210 with serial number starting with 112 can be upgraded.

I note that the version of firmware in the your unit is 1.88. Now, the question is whether it is the firmware version that prevents the upgrade or the serial number that prevents it.

Clement

I have been trying to this upgrade as well. I am running version 3.1.88, and the first three serial #'s are 132. In Menu 03 I am still showing satellites 120 and 122.

I tried the 2.57 upgrade a couple of times and it did not appear to take. Then I tried the EU upgrade, but I intentionally didn't save my base map, and when I restarted the GPS, it still said 3.1.88 in the startup screen, however I had the EU basemap...so somehting must have taken, right? Although when I went into menu 03 it still showed good ol' defunct satellites 120 and 122.

I got a somewhat different reply when I contacted Magellan. Here is an excerpt:

"I would like to inform you that, this issue might be fix in the next firmware

update. We are unable to promise the date for new Update. I request that you

wait for the next firmware update."

So a whole lotta writing for not much more information, but that is as far as I have gotten. As far as not having WAAS, the unit is great for traditional caches in the woods, but awful for finding urban micros. Puts me on the wrong side of the street most times.

I have been trying to this upgrade as well. I am running version 3.1.88, and the first three serial #'s are 132. In Menu 03 I am still showing satellites 120 and 122.

I tried the 2.57 upgrade a couple of times and it did not appear to take. Then I tried the EU upgrade, but I intentionally didn't save my base map, and when I restarted the GPS, it still said 3.1.88 in the startup screen, however I had the EU basemap...so somehting must have taken, right? Although when I went into menu 03 it still showed good ol' defunct satellites 120 and 122.

I got a somewhat different reply when I contacted Magellan. Here is an excerpt:

"I would like to inform you that, this issue might be fix in the next firmware

update. We are unable to promise the date for new Update. I request that you

wait for the next firmware update."

So a whole lotta writing for not much more information, but that is as far as I have gotten. As far as not having WAAS, the unit is great for traditional caches in the woods, but awful for finding urban micros. Puts me on the wrong side of the street most times.

Just as a follow up, I went into the UNIT_ID.dat file and tried changing the ID=132 to 112 and the first three digits of the Serial No. to 112 and still wouldn't take the upgrade :laughing:

Well, at least I didn't brick the unit.

Thanks to briancgraham and Pod-Cache for your responses.

Just to summarize for future reference, upgrade to EU firmware 2.57 seems o.k for 210's with serial number starting with 112, and for 500's with serial number starting with 118. It does not work for 210's that start with 132, nor for 500's that starts with 133.

Clement

Hi all, Not to hi-jack anybody else's thread here as it looks like its starting to branch off to cover other maggie models. But does anybody know if this European update will work with an older Sportrak pro? I currently still have V.5.34 may 21 2004. Sn# 00006234337. It had WAAS at one time, but I see no evidence of it now. I also haven't seen anything about the older STP's either. Thanks!!

for the first time ever today, my explorist 210 started showing "WAAS" in the nav screen that shows current position and epe.

I haven't done anything to the unit I can think of such as a firmware upgrade, and I have been using the unit regularly over the last couple of days. The epe was down to 3m, the lowest I've ever seen it, but it didn't appear to be any more or less accurate than it ever has.

Anybody else notice this?

I just went into the 03 secret menu, and the unit was still on it's endless search for good ol' satellites 120 and 122.

I just noticed the same thing this morning with my 210. Is there a chance that we're getting the same signal that was broadcast last year when the new sat configuration went up?

I'm one of the many who has a serial number that won't allow me to upgrade my 210 firmware to enable WAAS, so if this works, I'll be a happy camper.

I just noticed the same thing this morning with my 210. Is there a chance that we're getting the same signal that was broadcast last year when the new sat configuration went up?

I'm one of the many who has a serial number that won't allow me to upgrade my 210 firmware to enable WAAS, so if this works, I'll be a happy camper.

Well, after reading this thread yesterday; my XL sat outside for 45min. . . . no love, 1530 Pacific Coast

Time today it's out there again staring at the dead birds, I'm NOT holding my breath! I'll give Maggie 23 days for a firmware solution, then, that not being the case . . . I'll "make it or break it" w/ the Euro upgrade(australian), no map backup either; if I brick it, so be it! There's just been too much BS for me to even consider any kind of brand loyalty, quite the opposite! No pillars of salt around these parts.

Norm

<EDIT>

It's now another 45min. later, and the gruntle meter is falling!

Edited by RRLover

The Magellan 210 update only shows if you look under "210 Europe" - see link. The version currently available from Magellan replaces your North American basemap w/ the European one (thus the advice to back up your basemap first & copy back over after the upgrade.

Also, which firmware do you have right now? You'll know as soon as you power up - it's in the upper right hand corner (& you'll see either "©2005 Thales Navigation" or "©2007 Magellan"). If yours is older, you can do the EU upgrade...I've heard the w/ 2007 sometimes the the upgrade won't work.

I had the older firmware & did it w/ the help of this thread

Here's exactly what I did (at my own risk, of course):

1 - Powered up unit - goes into USB mode - selected "File Transfer" & PC recognizes unit.Message reads "upload from firmware" & "working" ---[note - this was after I erased my unit due to another problem (NAND loop) so the "upload from firmware" message may not apply here..you can also check threads for the 500 EU update..pretty much the same steps.]

2 - when complete, click on file "pldup.exe" from unpacked software (downloaded from site listed in thread which took care of the basemap problem).

3 - GPS will read in intimidating all-caps: "SOFTWARE UPLOAD MODE - ACTIVE" (ACTIVE will switch to ERASING & then WRITING")

4 - in a few minutes, the pc software will indicate "software upload complete".

Whole deal took about 10 minutes - the 3 "new" screens are sweeeet (of the 3 - I mostly use the "large print" screen!

..the 210 seems to be more responsive & acquires birds faster upon startup....and I've got WAAS (same thing w/ a 'new' old firmware 500 I upgraded that never showed WAAS before)

Don't try if you're squeamish about computers, & read thru the threads first, in case I forgot to mention anything :D

PS - almost forgot...if embra was here, he'd tell you to also check http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/magellan/explo...0/firmware.html !

Thank you Ernmark, my 210 seems like a new GPSr! :P

In addition to the three new views, there's a new Projection feature under Advanced Features that will project either from your current position, any POI, or any geocache, then lets you save the projected point. Also allows you to mark caches as 'Found'. Goto menu is enhanced allowing you to instantly view the destination. Great stuff! :D

Oh, yeah, WAAS works again and the unit seems to acquire satellites more quickly! :D

Edited by The Full House 5

I just did the upgrade and it worked like a charm. I had saved the us basemap and then just switched em. I did save the eu basemap...never know when i might need it. Actually did 3 weeks ago as I loaned my 210 to a friend who took it to greece and london....bummer i didn't have the base map for them there. Now to figure out how to get a detail map of wisconsin in an explorist format

I just did the upgrade and it worked like a charm. I had saved the us basemap and then just switched em. I did save the eu basemap...never know when i might need it. Actually did 3 weeks ago as I loaned my 210 to a friend who took it to greece and london....bummer i didn't have the base map for them there. Now to figure out how to get a detail map of wisconsin in an explorist format

Thanks to all you smart people who've posted here about getting the firmware updated on my eXplorist 210 NA! I wasn't all that far from tossing it in the trash, but now I have an even-better-functioning unit. No thanks to Magellan, though. . .

Would be possible to update a SporTrak with this firmware since the Explorist 210 is most similar to the SporTrak?

"Most similar" != "same enough".

Since ST uses a dragonball processor while x210 uses an ARM mutant, their firmware is not interchangeable. This is one of the reasons that even their basemaps are different...

Explorist and M330/ST/Meridian have a lot in common at the user level - heck, they even share many of the same bugs that have been with us since the turn of the century - but they don't share the same chipsets and therefore don't run the same firmware.