Clock drift - time drift - Garmin Colorado - All units effected?

4America

My 400t arrived on Friday. My unit will not keep time, unless it can get a Sat lock. a call to Garmin today said that they thought this was a software issue and would be addressed in future updates (firmware). If this is the case, this may effect many more (all) colorados running the 2.3/2/6 - M chipsets.

My 400t loses time when it is powered off for more than 3 hours. When it loses time it goes back to the time when the unit was shut off minus a minute or two (as captured in the position.gpx file). I'm hoping that it is a software issue and I'm waiting for the next firmware release to see for sure. While I'm waiting I've found a workaround. If I set the "Pressure Trending" setting to "Save Always" the unit will have the correct time when turned on after more than 3 hours. I suspect that it is waking up every so often to read the barometer and that is enough to refresh the clock. I do hope this is not a hardware issue.

Greg

Edited by wazkaren

FWIW my wife's Venture HC seems to be suffering from the same problem if it's left for any length of time without batteries in. We're not talking massive lengths of time here, only a week, and any other etrex model I've had has been capable of maintaining it's internal clock for that long.

My 400t arrived on Friday. My unit will not keep time, unless it can get a Sat lock. a call to Garmin today said that they thought this was a software issue and would be addressed in future updates (firmware). If this is the case, this may effect many more (all) colorados running the 2.3/2/6 - M chipsets.

This is an ongoing issue that seemingly effects all Colorado's. See my post (

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...183925&hl=) from weeks ago when the first units hit the market.

I can't believe Garmin hasn't jumped all over this and put out a firmware update to fix such a serious problem! It kinda' scares me that they haven't and makes me wonder if it might be a hardware issue instead. Surely otherwise they would deal with this immediately since it almost cripples the normal functioning of the units!

I have had my 300 since January 23. I never noticed any problems with the clock, but I didn't aggressively monitor the Colorado clock.

I just did that now.

!. I started the Colorado, and as soon as it was on, I disabled the satellite receptivity. The 300 did not have satellite connectivity for approximately 6 hours prior to this current restart.

2. The clock has been keeping accurate time for at least 30 minutes since the restart.

Colorado 300-2.3/2.6. MediaTek GPS chip

Edited by Barrikady