Vista HCX tracks & # of points?

travis71

I have been mapping out a local park, the FSRs & trails, & xferrin them individually to google earth. I would like to sorta combine the tracks on my Vista HCX using the mapsource software, & have done so... .However when I load the combined tracks into the GPS, it truncates some of them. I assume this is due to the fact that there are too many points per track, so I need to break them up some more. I couldnt locate a definitive answer in the manual to tell me what themax # of points in a single track are. Can anyone assist me on this please?

thanks!

trav

I have been mapping out a local park, the FSRs & trails, & xferrin them individually to google earth. I would like to sorta combine the tracks on my Vista HCX using the mapsource software, & have done so... .However when I load the combined tracks into the GPS, it truncates some of them. I assume this is due to the fact that there are too many points per track, so I need to break them up some more. I couldnt locate a definitive answer in the manual to tell me what themax # of points in a single track are. Can anyone assist me on this please?

thanks!

trav

Garmin's FAQ sort of speaks to it when looking up a different point:

A tracklog is a breadcrumb trail left behind you after a walk, so you can trace exact path you have walked. A tracklog contains track points and not waypoints.

A tracklog is different to a saved track. A saved track is a track you have saved; this can contain a maximum of 250 trackpoints. A saved track is a representation of the active track and strips 5 out of every 6 trackpoints as well as other information.

If you delete a Saved Track then this will not free up space in the Track log. The only way to free space is to clear the Track log. Alternatively you could use 'Wrap' so when the track log becomes full it continues tracking but erases the earliest track recorded.

So it seems 10000 points on a tracklog and 250 on a saved track. Hope this helps.