Loading OpenStreetMap on Garmin 60cx + 2 gig card

Our family has just gained its second Garmin 60cx, and I just bought a 2 gig card. I'm hoping to upload the entire USA openstreetmap.org map onto this card. Has anyone done this? If so could you share the steps involved? I used to work as a CAD draftsman, and worked with a lot of government map data, so believe this is doable. What software? Load directly? etc... I don't want to compromise the original base map that comes on the unit.

For the first 60cx we purchased garmin mapsource usa street maps, and loaded the entire US onto one 2 gig card. I thought the software was good for 2 units, so uploaded a small test map onto the second unit (before getting memory card). It didn't work, so now we get a map needs unlocked warning every time the unit is turned on. I somehow need to unload this map before loading the open street map data.

The routing that is part of the Garmin software is very handy, but on the second unit we really just need more complete maps. Living in a rural location, our town is just a dot on the Garmin base map! Geocaching would be much easier with the roads on the map as well.

My cousin just bought a 76cx, and she's very interested to see how this works as well.

Thanks in advance!

sunflowerflyer

Edited by sunflowerflyer

Our family has just gained its second Garmin 60cx, and I just bought a 2 gig card. I'm hoping to upload the entire USA openstreetmap.org map onto this card. Has anyone done this? If so could you share the steps involved? I used to work as a CAD draftsman, and worked with a lot of government map data, so believe this is doable. What software? Load directly? etc... I don't want to compromise the original base map that comes on the unit.

For the first 60cx we purchased garmin mapsource usa street maps, and loaded the entire US onto one 2 gig card. I thought the software was good for 2 units, so uploaded a small test map onto the second unit (before getting memory card). It didn't work, so now we get a map needs unlocked warning every time the unit is turned on. I somehow need to unload this map before loading the open street map data.

The routing that is part of the Garmin software is very handy, but on the second unit we really just need more complete maps. Living in a rural location, our town is just a dot on the Garmin base map! Geocaching would be much easier with the roads on the map as well.

My cousin just bought a 76cx, and she's very interested to see how this works as well.

Thanks in advance!

sunflowerflyer

I'm glad you're interested in the OpenStreetMap data (especially since the TIGER map data import just completed--now the entire US has fairly complete, although sometimes inaccurate street map data). As Red90 said, mkgmap is the way to go for now. Note that with that program, you'll get the street data, but it isn't routable. I'm working on a routable version. In a longer-term plan, we're looking at setting up some infrastructure to help with creating GPS maps, because downloading 3.6 GB (currently) of compressed data, cutting it up into appropriate-sized tiles and running it through the mkgmap processor is not something everyone can do (or really very many people are inclined to do).

I'm not an expert on mkgmap, but I'm willing to help you get this working. Look at a Java tool called Osmosis for helping you slice up the Planet file into manageable chunks (you might want to start with a USA extract first, then use that smaller file to create your tiles). Also check out the mailing lists (probably dev@openstreetmap.org is the one you want) for other support.