City Navigator on new GPS

superduty1

I searched and couldnt find an answer to this. I have a Garmin 2610. I have had it for a few years. In those years I have upgraded 3 times to the newest City Navigator versions. When upgrading I never really thought about the version I replaced. Now I am thinking, what about putting one of the older versions on a different GPS, i.e., a handheld GPS that I am planning on purchasing.

I know the Garmin only allows City Navigator to be installed once (on the newest version of CIty Navigator). The older versions could be installed twice. I used up the two installs on all my older versions (two 2610s). My question is, now that those older versions are no longer in use on my 2610s, shouldnt I be allowed to reinstall those older versions on another unit?

My guess is Garmin will say no, but it doesnt seem fair. I didnt "rent" these maps/software, I bought them.

For example, if you had Windows 98 on your computer, then installed a new complete version of XP, Microsoft would allow you to install Windows 98 on another computer (if you so desired, right)?

What do you all think?

Remember the fine print you probably skipped through when you installed the software? That's were you agreed to the one-time install on a GPS. Garmin is protecting it's licensing profits. Imagine how many calls they would get for new unlock codes if owners claimed they lost/destroyed their GPS'.