I Think this is a spamer. Anyone Else?

Ziggy Crew

I got this in my email today....

"Ziggy Crew

Is there a container at this location, or is the sign post the find?"

Thats it!

I think its a spamer trying to get me to reply to the email.

When I clicked on the profile link, this user Sgt K Lo has no finds or hides and their account is only a couple of days old. Anyone else have contact with this individual? Am I blowing this out of proportion? Just an FYI for ya all.

Harvetsting emails through the GC.com system would be rather time consuming. I imagine that they are just new. If uncertain, you can reply through their GC.com profile and not check the box to show your email.

I am taking your advice and replyed through GC.com system. I'll wait and see. Thanks.

When first started out...I probably sent a couple emails like that not really knowing what I was doing...

Took me a bit before I realized it was helpful to the owner that stating the cache I was actually looking for and what I had done already would have been helpful. All in all...my bet would be a "real" new player!!!

Later,

ArcherDragoon

One problem that many cachers create is assumming that the cache causing the issue will somehow be included automatically in any emails. I have often had to write back asking what cache they are reffering to.

Yeah, I've had that happen twice on one of mine...I had to e-mail them back and get clarification.

I received a similar type of email in one of my other email accounts. Supposedly this "geocacher" found one of my "signature coins" with my geocaching email address on it. Fortunately, this is NOT my primary email address and just one that I use specifically for geocaching. I the "geocacher" wanted to know if I wanted to go geocaching with them. I never responded and when I asked some of our local people about this person (they actually gave their name and an email address), no one seemed to know them. This person never gave me a geocaching Id nor could I find anything more out about them on the GC web site. I'm almost sorry now that I put my email address on the coin!

The email you got is probably just a noob.

However, there are all kinds out there. My wife got an email a few months ago from someone with a newly created profile. Nice sad story about how he didn't have a GPSr and was hoping to find someone who would go cache hunting with him. I think he probably sent it to lots of other female user names as well.

Harvetsting emails through the GC.com system would be rather time consuming. I imagine that they are just new. If uncertain, you can reply through their GC.com profile and not check the box to show your email.

I am taking your advice and replyed through GC.com system. I'll wait and see. Thanks.

No responce back from them as of yet...

If they responded to the email you sent to them through their profile by simply hitting "reply" to your email, you'll never see their response, nor will they know that it didn't get sent to you.

If they responded to the email you sent to them through their profile by simply hitting "reply" to your email, you'll never see their response, nor will they know that it didn't get sent to you.

Yesterday, I sent a new email through there GC.com Profile asking them of what sign post they were refering to. And still no reply.

Yesterday, I sent a new email through there GC.com Profile asking them of what sign post they were refering to. And still no reply.

I understand. What I'm saying is that if they got the latest email you sent to them through their GC.com profile (assuming you didn't check the box to show your email address), they may have just hit the "reply" button on their email client, thinking their response would go to you, since your GC name appears in the email subject line. But the email won't go to you, it will go to "noreply@geocaching.com", so you'll never see it. And those emails don't bounce back to the sender, as far as I know.

Nothing you can do about it (except maybe send them another follow-up email in a week or so), I'm just saying that might be the reason you haven't seen a reply.

One problem that many cachers create is assumming that the cache causing the issue will somehow be included automatically in any emails. I have often had to write back asking what cache they are reffering to.

Yeah, this was pretty much my issue when I first sent emails...I thought, somehow, the cache was part of the email :yikes: opps!!!

Otherwise, be patient...the "Email: No-Reply" thing may also throw them a bit...I know that got me a couple times as a newbie and even still gets me on ocassion now...

I understand. What I'm saying is that if they got the latest email you sent to them through their GC.com profile (assuming you didn't check the box to show your email address), they may have just hit the "reply" button on their email client, thinking their response would go to you, since your GC name appears in the email subject line. But the email won't go to you, it will go to "noreply@geocaching.com", so you'll never see it. And those emails don't bounce back to the sender, as far as I know.

Nothing you can do about it (except maybe send them another follow-up email in a week or so), I'm just saying that might be the reason you haven't seen a reply.

OOOOoooohhhh. Now I understand! I will give it a few. Thanks

Edited for being a goof!

Edited by Ziggy Crew