Change to email notifications...

DanOCan

Between the 20th and the 21st I noticed a change in my email notifications as they relate to newly published caches -- the direction from my home coordinates is no longer listed, just the distance.

Example:

------

This is an automated message from Geocaching

For GC18RBX: The Spinal Cord (Traditional Cache)

14.3mi (22.9km )

Cache Effect published The Spinal Cord (Traditional Cache) at 1/21/2008

------

vs.

------

For GC18PWD: 18th Sparks (Traditional Cache)

15.2mi NE (24.5km NE)

Cache Effect published 18th Sparks (Traditional Cache) at 1/20/2008

------

Living on the outskirts of an urban area means this is an annoyance to me. I used to rely on my email notifications to tell me whether or not I wanted to bother looking for a new cache:

Caches to the western directions are typically nice hikes which makes me interested whereas new caches to the east mean urban caching and much less interest. Now I have to open each newly published cache to see where it is located.

For GC18RBX: The Spinal Cord (Traditional Cache)

14.3mi (22.9km )

Cache Effect published The Spinal Cord (Traditional Cache) at 1/21/2008

Like Miragee, I still get the directions in my notifications.

Just a possibilty: is the example that you gave (the one with no direction given) directly north or directly south of your home coordinates? A while ago there was an issue with the direction-arrow-icons not appearing in cache-list pages when the cache was due North/South of the reference point. I don't know whether that issue was ever resolved; if not, perhaps this is another manifestation of it?

Just a possibilty: is the example that you gave (the one with no direction given) directly north or directly south of your home coordinates?

Good thought, but nope, it isn't directly north or south. Well, at least it's just me. I guess that's a good thing.

Just a possibilty: is the example that you gave (the one with no direction given) directly north or directly south of your home coordinates?
Good thought, but nope, it isn't directly north or south. Well, at least it's just me. I guess that's a good thing.

As I guesstimated your home coordinates, it seems that the prblematic cache actually is about to the North. If so, this is a known reported bug. Let's bump it up and see if it gets any attention.

Edited by lq
As I guesstimated your home coordinates, it seems that the prblematic cache actually is about to the North. If so, this is a known reported bug. Let's bump it up and see if it gets any attention.

Right you are! This morning I only took a quick look at the closeup map on the cache page and I thought I recognized the general area of the cache, but I should have looked at the overview map to realize I was in the wrong city completely.

Yep, looks like it's that "north" bug showing up. Thanks for catching my oversight.