microSd Memory Card Usage

Is there a faq or tutorial on how to make the best use of additional memory. I have a 2gb card installed on my Vista HCx. It's installed properly, I can copy files to it. But how does one make use of these files once they're on the microSD card installed in the unit?

I tried to add waypoints using GSAK, MapSource and geocache.com, but the unit said it was out of room. At the same time, barely 1% of my card was in use. Those being gpx and user data generated by MapSource. But, it doesn't seem like this data is being used by the unit.

Thanks for the help.

- Coyote Raven

I tried to add waypoints using GSAK, MapSource and geocache.com, but the unit said it was out of room. At the same time, barely 1% of my card was in use. Those being gpx and user data generated by MapSource. But, it doesn't seem like this data is being used by the unit.

The card holds mapdata and Custom POI.

Waypoints are stored in the unit itself. If you are hitting max waypoint limits try converting some to POI using the Garmin POI Loader.

NB: the gps will *write* track logs to the card in .gpx format if you tell it to, but will not read .gpx from the card.

Did you load Topo maps? If so, did you load them to the micro SD card or did you load them to your internal memory?

I do not believe that the HCX has any internal map memory.

I was only wondering since I have a Vista HCx and I have no memory issues. My HCx came with Topo software and I loaded it to my 2GB micro SD. I only have about 250 caches loaded in my GPSr at any time. Maybe the OP has already loaded in 1000 WP's and needs to do some cache cleaning.

I'm not sure where my TOPO map info is loaded, but since the HCx has no internal map memory... (One reason I need a tutorial.)

Indeed, I was at the 1000 WP and cleaned some out to make room. Why is there that 1000 WP limit and why 1000?

Thanks.

-Coyote Raven

Did you load Topo maps? If so, did you load them to the micro SD card or did you load them to your internal memory?

I do not believe that the HCX has any internal map memory.

I was only wondering since I have a Vista HCx and I have no memory issues. My HCx came with Topo software and I loaded it to my 2GB micro SD. I only have about 250 caches loaded in my GPSr at any time. Maybe the OP has already loaded in 1000 WP's and needs to do some cache cleaning.

I'm not sure where my TOPO map info is loaded, but since the HCx has no internal map memory... (One reason I need a tutorial.)

Indeed, I was at the 1000 WP and cleaned some out to make room. Why is there that 1000 WP limit and why 1000?

Topo is on the card as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img (off the top of my head).

There is a finite amount of internal space for waypoints. Used to be 500 on many units, now 1000.

If you are managing 100s of waypoints, I really do recommended loading them as Custom POI instead. To quote Red90:

Waypoints:

- Amount limited by firmware - Sorted by icon only.

- 14 characters in name and 30 in comment field.

- Can be viewed at any zoom level

- Can be deleted and added from the unit.

- Can use the "Geocaching" feature.

Custom POIs:

- Amount limited by card space only.

- Sorted by file name.

- 44 character in name and 88 in comment

- Can be viewed up to 200 meter (or is it 300 meter?) zoom level only (at the moment).

- Can not be deleted from the unit. Waypoints, however, can be individually created from a POI on the unit.

- Can have proximity alarms built into each POI from the computer files.

Load them with the Garmin POI Loader.

Custom POIs can be made to appear at any zoom level in the "x" models. You specify in the Mapset Up Menu at what level you want them to appear at, "auto" is the default. But also all POIs whether Custom ones or factory ones will also appear at that same zoom level, which can make quite a cluttered screen in a metropolitain area if you set it to a high zoom level.

Edited by eaparks