ASUS Eee PC

CJOttawa

The last time I geocached was prior to buying my new laptop, an ASUS Eee PC.

The Eee', since December, has replaced my 17" notebook and goes with me everywhere.

Today, I started caching with it and am in fact sitting in a coffee shop typing this.

The Eee PC has it's own user forum at http://forum.eeeuser.com/ so I won't get into too many details here BUT, for cachers looking for the ULTIMATE in paperless caching, I recommend this unit.

The short of it:

• <$400 nano-sized notebook with a functional sized keyboard (I touch type about 50wpm on it)
  • 900MHz Celeron M (don't let "Celeron" put you off... it's almost an identical chip to a Pentium M with less cache and power management)
  • 7" 800x480 screen
  • WiFi & RJ-45 LAN
  • 2, 4 or 8GB SSD drive with an SDHC slot for adding up to 32GB SDHC cards
  • 512mb or 1GB ram upgradeable to 2GB (which I've done)
  • comes with Linux (nice) but XP installable (I did... works GREAT)

Performance is snappier than my former P4HT 3.2GHz fire-breathing laptop.

Lest you think I'm not giving this device a workout... I run the marketing department of a small airline and this machine regularly runs Photoshop and Illustrator, among other things. It's FAST.

I figured I'd see a huge buzz here on Groundspeak about this.

Edited by af895

I have a black Asus 4G scheduled to arrive tomorrow! Can't wait.

But I am curious about how practical Linux (the default OS on the Eee) is going to be. Luckily (or maybe not), I have an extra copy of XP available. But I'd like to explore Linux first. Just wish there was a Linux version of MapSource or POILoader.

If I can figure out someway to upload GPX files to my Vista HCx under Linux, I'll probably be content to stay with the Linux. I came across this website that talks about doing this:

http://www.marengo-ltd.com/gps/index.php

But I am curious about how practical Linux (the default OS on the Eee) is going to be. Luckily (or maybe not), I have an extra copy of XP available. But I'd like to explore Linux first. Just wish there was a Linux version of MapSource or POILoader.

If I can figure out someway to upload GPX files to my Vista HCx under Linux, I'll probably be content to stay with the Linux. I came across this website that talks about doing this:

The installed Xandros Linux is fine IF you ONLY want to do what it's designed for. As soon as you go outside of what it was specifically set up to do and has installed applications for, unless you're a Linux expert, your time is better spent installing Windows XP.

The installed Xandros Linux is fine IF you ONLY want to do what it's designed for. As soon as you go outside of what it was specifically set up to do and has installed applications for, unless you're a Linux expert, your time is better spent installing Windows XP.

Roger that. I was fooling around with Kubuntu Linux a little and everything extra got me wrapped up in command line hades. It becomes a hobby in itself and you'll end up working for the Asus notebook rather than have it work for you. Outside of that, I'm highly supportive of that endeavour.

Actually, if I could find it available at Circuit City or Best Buy pre-loaded with XP, I'd strongly consider buying one.

Thanks for the mention; this is the first I've heard of it and it looks intriguing. It seems well reviewed. One of the reviews mentioned that Asus was planning to make it available with XP "by the end of 2007." Looks like they're having a hard time keeping up with demand.

Thanks for the mention; this is the first I've heard of it and it looks intriguing. It seems well reviewed. One of the reviews mentioned that Asus was planning to make it available with XP "by the end of 2007." Looks like they're having a hard time keeping up with demand.

The XP is required to host DeLorme Topo 7 that would be used to communicate with a PN-20. Might even be able to stick an LT-40 in it if any of that made sense. :unsure:

Roger that. I was fooling around with Kubuntu Linux a little and everything extra got me wrapped up in command line hades. It becomes a hobby in itself and you'll end up working for the Asus notebook rather than have it work for you. Outside of that, I'm highly supportive of that endeavour.

I agree with the sentiments above. I got a black Eee when they came out just before Thanksgiving. I've stuck with the "Easy" user interface mode since all I really do with it is go online. If you only use the programs that come with the Eee, it's super easy. There is a learning curve if you want to install additional programs and you aren't a Linux guru. I was able to get Google Earth installed but had to use a patch from the EeeUser wiki to get the program to run smoothly. I wanted to install a Linux version of a GIS mapping program I use, but my eyes glazed over when I read the instructions on how to do the Linux installation. I'm fine with Windows and DOS, but have no clue about Linux. Haven't installed GPSBabel on the Eee yet, but that is something I should do. Buying a copy of XP for the Eee would make it more usable but adds to the cost of what I intended to be a small cheap second computer for web browsing around the house (my primary rig is a desktop). Edited by geognerd

If you have a chance, browse the Eee PC user forum.

One point raised about getting XP: you can find license stickers for XP often on old, abandoned systems or at computer flea markets. These machines are either free or being sold for pocket change. All you need is the license sticker. Use heat to remove it, laminate it and stick it to the bottom of your Eee to be completely above board. XP replacement discs are easily found for doing the install.

It took me about an hour to install XP Pro on the Eee PC. Mildly nLited (search the Eee forum for more on that) it takes LESS space than the default Xandros Linux. You can mirror your 4GB SSD onto an SD card. I know a guy who can do flash a stock Eee PC with XP Pro from an SD card in 9 minutes flat. (!)

The Eee PC is a standardized PC. Everyone you'd run on a desktop runs fine on it. If screen resolution is an issue, you can run an 800x600 virtual desktop. This seems to satisfy most software that doesn't grok 800x480.

For greater mass storage, spring for a big SDHC card - I bought a 16GB - or get a flash drive or external USB hard drive.

I can't stress enough: this machine REPLACED my former notebook. It's that good.

All that said, if you can live with the Xandros install, it's quite good. Fast, robust and fairly feature packed. I just wanted to do things outside the scope of it's capabilities, hence XP Pro.

Edited by af895

The last time I geocached was prior to buying my new laptop, an ASUS Eee PC.

The Eee', since December, has replaced my 17" notebook and goes with me everywhere.

Today, I started caching with it and am in fact sitting in a coffee shop typing this.

The Eee PC has it's own user forum at http://forum.eeeuser.com/ so I won't get into too many details here BUT, for cachers looking for the ULTIMATE in paperless caching, I recommend this unit.

The short of it:

• <$400 nano-sized notebook with a functional sized keyboard (I touch type about 50wpm on it)
  • 900MHz Celeron M (don't let "Celeron" put you off... it's almost an identical chip to a Pentium M with less cache and power management)
  • 7" 800x480 screen
  • WiFi & RJ-45 LAN
  • 2, 4 or 8GB SSD drive with an SDHC slot for adding up to 32GB SDHC cards
  • 512mb or 1GB ram upgradeable to 2GB (which I've done)
  • comes with Linux (nice) but XP installable (I did... works GREAT)

Performance is snappier than my former P4HT 3.2GHz fire-breathing laptop.

Lest you think I'm not giving this device a workout... I run the marketing department of a small airline and this machine regularly runs Photoshop and Illustrator, among other things. It's FAST.

I figured I'd see a huge buzz here on Groundspeak about this.

Hi af895 could please tell me what you installed on your eeepc to be able to use it for paperlesscaching?

I have seen the eee and was very impressed with the size and thought that it would be great for the kids to use while on our outback Australia trip to keep a diary and then for me with the cache info. Some of the posts make the installation of some programs seen almost impossible for the leyman. All I want is to have the cache info available to me.

Cheers

Hi af895 could please tell me what you installed on your eeepc to be able to use it for paperlesscaching?

I have seen the eee and was very impressed with the size and thought that it would be great for the kids to use while on our outback Australia trip to keep a diary and then for me with the cache info. Some of the posts make the installation of some programs seen almost impossible for the leyman. All I want is to have the cache info available to me.

Cheers

First and foremost: WindowsXP.

With Windows, anything's easy to tweak and I use GSAK for managing caches.

The quick and dirty method is to do a "print to PDF" from a cache page and save it on your desktop.

Team CowboyPapa: I have the 4G which has a 4GB SSD drive (flash drive). Windows takes about 1.5GB but that includes most of my software.

For added storage, I put a 16GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC card in the SDHC slot, assigned it a static drive letter and mapped the "My Documents" folder to it so I'm really working with 20GB.

For more info, the Asus User forum is the best place to look... there's more written there than I can possibly hold a candle to here.

Edited by af895

Gotta agree. Go XP. I really, really tried to work with the default operating system but, in the words of that renowned sage Danny Glover, "I'm too old for this modular, Unix-like operating system." It might have been a different story if I were younger and more interested in learning a different operating system, or if Asus hadn't crippled the version of Linux in an attempt to prevent dopes like me from bricking it, or I hadn't had an extra copy of XP.

Over the next couple of months you're gonna see a lot of competition in this ultra-compact PC field. Wal-Mart already is selling a competitor for $400. This competition, of course, will drive prices down. I've already seen the Asus 4G for $350 a couple of times at Buy.com. And there's a second generation Asus with a larger screen and XP pre-installed supposedly arriving next month. Probably will cost more, in large part because of the XP. Myself, $400 is about as high as I'd go for one of these tiny machines. They're nice (my HP Pavilion laptop now feels HUGE compared to it), but really nice laptops are available now for around $500.

I have followed the thread but still have a question. The new EEE is oout with Windows and still at $399. I have started to order it several times but can't quite hit the send order button. So many things I like about it but there is one big problem.

My problem is there is no disc drive and my Garmin Mapsource program is on CD and has to be running to do any close viewing of sites. So, if you are using the EEE to cache, what are you using for a map program?

Thanks for any thoughts about this.

I've been following the Asus development from the beginning but still haven't been able to see one. I use my Thinkpad in the field for real-time tracking with GPS over an aerial photo or sat image, in Ozi or Global Mapper. I really need something smaller but also more readable outside. Anyone have any comments how usable the Eee is in daylight?

My problem is there is no disc drive and my Garmin Mapsource program is on CD and has to be running to do any close viewing of sites.

Three choices:

1. Get a USB optical disc drive and use it tethered to a USB port.

2. Copy your Mapsource program and maps to a USB thumbdrive and use that.

3. Copy your Mapsource program and maps to an SDHC card and use that.

My problem is there is no disc drive and my Garmin Mapsource program is on CD and has to be running to do any close viewing of sites. So, if you are using the EEE to cache, what are you using for a map program?

I run MapSource on my Asus without a CD--is there a version of this program that requires you to run it from CD? Even if so, there are plenty of ways around this. Myself, I'd use DAEMON Tools Lite and an ISO image of my CD if I had a program that wanted access to a CD drive.

Anyone have any comments how usable the Eee is in daylight?

No better or worse than any other low-end laptop, meaning you can't see the display in broad daylight.