browse caches by photo

xafwodahs

Browsing caches is often a tedious process because the only way to get an idea of what caches you want to search for is to read the descriptions - the cache name is usually insufficient. This means clicking and opening up a large number of cache pages.

I thought it might be a neat feature to allow a cache owner to upload a single photo that attempts to capture the *essence* of the cache. Upon upload, a suitably sized thumbnail could be generated, and the cache browsing on the website could then allow photo browsing as well. For example, each page could have a 4x5 grid of thumbnails with cache names.

Any thoughts?

Waymarking.com has a very elegant implementation of this idea. I enjoy browsing through the categories I follow and seeing the thumbnails on the list pages.

For cache planning, I like the feature where you can view a photo gallery of all the images uploaded to each cache in a pocket query. I page through the results and look for the scenic views, unusual objects, etc. The best caches usually have the best photo galleries. This is a fun and easy way to select 10 high quality caches out of the 500 that come in a pocket query.