good source for free mapping program

sesleigher

hello everyone out there.

i am a noobie and can't wait to find my first cache,while surfing the fourums for some tips and advice from the more experinced geocachers out there i noticed that there are a lot of inquiries about free maps and software.

I have been using a program from NASA for a couple years now and find it very helpful in planning my camping trips.it is called WorldWind and is FREE!! here is the link to take you to the download page directly

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/

the program has many tools,overlays,and many more items too many to list

I hope this is helpful for everyone

I also use delorme topo quads 2.0 for penna. it has direct hook up and GPS recognition tools in the program and is not to pricey for the average person :D

cya sesleigher

Pretty nifty.

Needed to learn that a double-left click zooms in and a double right-click zooms out. Also, the layer manager helps a lot.

Nice program - Thanks for the info!

oops my bad sorry about that

here are some other things to know

right click and hold then move mouse to rotate and render 3d veiwing angles

click both R & L and hold then drag mouse either up or down the screen for zoom in and out

you can also use keyboard arrow keys to slide map in any direction

can't remember what left click and hold while dragging the mouse dosee but i'm sure its preety cool

i hope this additional info helps all who decide to try this freebie out

cya sesleigher :D

I downloaded the program but my 1.8 Ghz processor is too slow to run it effectively. :D

i believe that my processor is the same speed

i have found that it sometimes relies on the speed of your connection to work well

when at home on a cable modem it works great but at my freinds house with a sattilite connection it is not even worth opening the program up at times

hope this helps

cya sesleigher :D