Combining Wherigo and Geocaching

ReadyOrNot

I'll probably list mine as a mystery cache. You play the cartridge and it leads you to the cache after performing the tasks.

In my honest opinion, cross-listing should not be allowed later on, but should be encouraged at the moment to interest Groundspeak's current market, geocachers. You want the geocachers knowledgeable about Wherigo to the point where they can at least answer questions from people who would be more interested in Wherigo and not geocaching. To that extent, I'd encourage Wherigo caches for the moment.

However, I think Wherigo's current success teeters on the Colorado. Very few cachers I know have a PocketPC, let alone a GPS enabled one (most now use laptops with USB GPS receivers while in the car). I have the PDA setup needed, but the application crashes with an out of memory exception every time I launch it. Therefore, I have been playing with the emulator.

Yes, let's allow Wherigo geocaches until the activity has its own user base.

I would think it would be interesting to do a sorta hybrid multi-cache. Set up a regular multi with all normal parts. But with Wherigo, make it so that it will point to a physical part of the geocache and that cache will contain not only the coords to the next step, but also an "unlock code" which could be put in under the input command in Wherigo. This seems a little silly, having both an unlock code and the coords to the next stage, but perhaps the benefit would be that if the person uses Wherigo, pictures of the general location of the cache stage could be included. *shrug* Just kinda a general idea there.

Well, ok admittedly I only have started playing with Wherigo so I don't know a lot about the intricities, but it sure does seem like fun so far.

Can we combine geocaching and Wherigo? For instance, while you virtually pick up the rock in Wherigo, can I also place a cache under a rock that they can log while on the Wherigo adventure?

I think that a (first thought that comes to mind) Wherigo multi cache can do one of two things. The stages can do what a multi tries to do (in my opinion) in that it could force the cacher to pause and look around to see what the hiding cacher wants to show them. This can be "enforced" by asking the seeker a question about what they see, forcing them to at least look at what the hider wants.

Also, I can see that Wherigo might be used to "hide" a cache in a location that is currently off-limits. There is a nice little wildlife refuge down the road from my house, complete with viewing platforms, pavilion and gravel foot paths... I would love to put a cache or two here, but cannot due permission refusal by the committee that oversees the property. However, a Wherigo puzzle could be used to bring cachers (future Wherigo-ers) to the area and show them around.

This could be a stage in a multi, with the physical cache on a different property, a Wherigo puzzle of some sort, or a simple tour of the property.

Good point. We received permission to place a geocache on private property near the entrance to Nature Conservancy land here. Some logs question why we hadn't led them into the beautiful forest. With Wherigo we could take them on a tour, maybe point out some of the reasons why the Conservancy chose to protect this land.