Sn=ending Waypoints to vista w/out memory card

j0n3z_clan

I just got my etrex vista hcx and am trying to send it waypoints that i placed in gsak. it is telling me that it can not perform, with a error sending waypoints: magproto read error? what am i doing wrong?

EDIT: I hadn't set up my GPSr in GSAK. This stuff is complicated....

Edited by j0n3z_clan

I also got a Vista HCX for the holidays and was in the same situation not knowing how to send caches to it with GSAK. I had installed the software that came with it (Trip and Waypoint Manager) and I believe it had drivers that were installed also at the same time. I have Windows XP. When I plugged in the Vista to the computer it searched for the drivers on the computer and found them and said that the new hardware was installed and ready. So 1st make sure that your computer can recognize the Vista when you plug it in. With that being done I went to Garmin\Mygarmin per instructions in the manual I think and clicked on geocaching, then selected a few caches in my zipcode then plugged the Vista HCX in and it transfered them to the Vista quickly. I then checked and sure enough they were there in the Vista. I then went to GSAK, read the manual and used the help file then I clicked on "GPS" and set up the Vista HCX as a USB device and then transferred a few caches to the Vista without a problem. I used the default transfer. I'm going to try to use the "smart name" stuff and see what info gets transferred. So make sure you have the computer recognizing your device , then set it up as a USB device in GSAK - very simple - no need for ports etc. - and it should work. Sli23sli