Garmin GPS 18 USB moduel

SuaveGato

Hey, I had a couple questions. First If I get one of these USB GPS receivers like the Garmin 18 for my laptop and or desk top PC will I need an unlock code for it too if I already have City Navigator NT v.8? I.E. the CN NA NT v.8 only comes with 2 unlock codes and so can only be used with 2 GPS units but it can be loaded onto multiple computers. So If I got a USB receiver for my laptop, does that require an addition unlock code? There wouldn't be anything to upload maps to, since they would already be on the laptop, so no need for an unlock code?

Also, off topic, I tried searching for Garmin 18 USB but the search function will not let me search for words less than 3 characters...? When searching for things like "NT" or Garmin "18" is there any way around that to be able to search 2 letter words?

thanks,

biGjOhn

Hey, I had a couple questions. First If I get one of these USB GPS receivers like the Garmin 18 for my laptop and or desk top PC will I need an unlock code for it too if I already have City Navigator NT v.8? I.E. the CN NA NT v.8 only comes with 2 unlock codes and so can only be used with 2 GPS units but it can be loaded onto multiple computers. So If I got a USB receiver for my laptop, does that require an addition unlock code? There wouldn't be anything to upload maps to, since they would already be on the laptop, so no need for an unlock code?

You need an unlock code for the GPS 18. It simply won't appear on your PC without the unlock.

I was not aware that CN Version 8 came in the NT version. To my knowledge NT is only available in 2008. Am I confused or are you?

Hello and thank you for the reply. From what I understand, Garmin started making City Nav N. America NT v.8 and then in May switched it to City Nav N. America NT v.2008. They both have the same PN 010-10816-00, so it’s hard to tell which is which without having it in your hand. On the back of the shrink wrap it will list the version number, either v.8 or v.2008. here is a link that sells the CN NA NT v.8

Bummer about the Garmin 18, I was hoping I’d be able to get that as a bonus for the same price as I would pay for just the software… Oh well? I can still connect my GPSMAP60Csx to my pooter or laptop…

Thanks,

biGjOhn

Hey, now that I think about it, are you sure about the Garmin USB GPS 18 not even appearing on my screen w/o unlock code? What if I got the unit from eBay w/o software at all and just used it with my MapSource or US Topo or Metro guide which don’t require unlock codes? Won’t it still show up and track etc. with those? If so, why wouldn’t it show up if I switched the map view to City Nav then? Hmmmmm?

Hey, now that I think about it, are you sure about the Garmin USB GPS 18 not even appearing on my screen w/o unlock code? What if I got the unit from eBay w/o software at all and just used it with my MapSource or US Topo or Metro guide which don’t require unlock codes? Won’t it still show up and track etc. with those? If so, why wouldn’t it show up if I switched the map view to City Nav then? Hmmmmm?

a gps18 does require an unlock to use city navigator maps. also you can't use any garmin GPS reciever to track you on the PC in mapsource anymore(you used to be able to in a mapsource 6.5 or earlier). now you need to install Nroute(a free download from garmin) but it only lets you follow routes if using city select or city navigator.

you can use Nroute with your topo or metrouide maps, and it will show your current location and when your moving.... but like I said garmin doesn't let these maps route/autoroute in Nroute.

Hey, now that I think about it, are you sure about the Garmin USB GPS 18 not even appearing on my screen w/o unlock code? What if I got the unit from eBay w/o software at all and just used it with my MapSource or US Topo or Metro guide which don't require unlock codes? Won't it still show up and track etc. with those? If so, why wouldn't it show up if I switched the map view to City Nav then? Hmmmmm?

This is a different question than the previous one. Yes, you can use the GPS 18 receiver with US Topo, TOPO 2008, and MetroGuide because they don't require an unlock code. CN in all Versions does.

You can also use any other GPSr you have with your computer and those same programs, but it will not work with CN on your PC unless you have an unlock code for it. Even tho' the GPS 18 is a small "hockey puck" it requires an unlock code to work with CN just like all of the other Garmin Units.

All of this is true unless you have a "hack" to break the unlock code and I don't believe anyone does yet, or else they won't admit it online.

Edited by tlhutch

All of this is true unless you have a "hack" to break the unlock code and I don't believe anyone does yet, or else they won't admit it online.

Thanks again for the scoop... I don't have a hack for the unlock codes, so if I do go that route, No Cn for my hockey puck... wish I had a hack, but then again it's business and Garmin needs their rice & beans too...

If it were my business, I wouldn't want someone hacking me!

thanks for the data,

biGjOhn