New Guy here...Zumo 550?

tricklidz

I do not have a Zumo but bike. It is definitely enjoyable, gives you need places to explore. I do not have a Zumo (Have a 60CSX) but can give you a "few" pointers:

1. Zumo has an estimated 4 hour battery life, which should be good as long as you can charge on your bike. It is a limitation though as you have limited time to search, you may only be able to do 1 or 2 at a time then go back and charge.

2. Does the Zumo always keep you on the road? If it has an off road feature then Geocaching would probably work for it, it probably does not show a compass though so it is a little harder.

3. I find allot of caches outside the city are on gravel, out of the way roads, depending on what you ride that may not be your cup of tea.

Hi all. I found this site from the Zumo forum as I'm a new GPS user and advid motorcyclist. This sounds like something I can combine with our motorcycle tours. Has anyone used the Zumo for Geocaching? Any ideas or tips?

TIA,

'Lidz

Sure, I use mine all the time.

I load my Pocket Queries as Custom POIs using POI Loader. I have Custom Icons loaded with the PQs so that I can differentiate the cache types. (I run my PQs based upon size and set up a different icon for each size.) I also use Cachemate on my iPAQ so I have the cache details.

My caching doesn't involve long hikes so the battery life is plenty for what I do.

The Zumo supports off road routing and has a compass page which in the off-road mode has a bearing pointer.

The map zooms in to where the map scale reads 80ft so the map screen is useful once you get to the cache location.

I use my Zumo 550 all the time.

It hasn't let me down yet when finding a cache.

I use the on road setting to navigat to the cache area, an to the cache itself.

Enter the cordinates, give it the cache name, save to favourites, hit the go button and your on your way.

Usually I get within 3 meters of the cache then just have a good look see to spot where all the good hiding places are.

Most Ive been out is about 10 meters but a previous cacher had moved it to a safer location so maybe the cordinates where out a little.

If you want to use it for a tramp or hike to a cache you dont need it switched on all the time, save you battery for getting there.

Usually people hide the cache on or near a well used track or a point of interest.

Also an easy way to extend the battery life is to mount the Zumo in the car mount, buy a smallish 12v gell battery like the kind you use in your motorbike, attach a lighter plug to the battery, plug in the car mount lead to the battery plug and instantly youve extended your usage by several hours constant use. once the car battery drains you still got four hours battery life once the Zumo is disconnected from the car mount.

Hope this helps

Cheers

P38