topo 24k vs topo 2008?

travis71

I have Topo 2008 and National Parks West (NPW). NPW has more detail 1:24k and for the most part the contour interval is less than topo 2008 1:100k ,not many trails on either ,secondary road coverage is about the same on both,again NPW always a bit better,lakes are slightly more defined .Topo 2008 is quite adequate for all regions in general .It showed lots of roads in Blaine Washington,a town so small you can drive through it in 5 min.For cross country travel topo 2008 is good ,but for hiking get your National Park cd.

I have Topo 2008 and National Parks West (NPW). NPW has more detail 1:24k and for the most part the contour interval is less than topo 2008 1:100k ,not many trails on either ,secondary road coverage is about the same on both,again NPW always a bit better,lakes are slightly more defined .Topo 2008 is quite adequate for all regions in general .It showed lots of roads in Blaine Washington,a town so small you can drive through it in 5 min.For cross country travel topo 2008 is good ,but for hiking get your National Park cd.

I don't believe there are many more trails on the NP series than on the big TOPO. My preference is to use the big TOPO and custom make transparent 24k maps for areas that I need. I do those with 20' contour lines and also load stream data with names. That fits over the big TOPO quite well, yet the the contours provide more detail. Good trail data for the National Parks is available from the National Park Service and you can either overlay that on the 24k maps or just use the data as tracks until you make your own tracklogs.

I suspect there is just about as much secondary road data on CN as on the big TOPO. I don't know as if I'm off paved roads I use the TOPO with the 24k overlays.

What is the difference between the Mapsource Topo 2008 & the topo 24k for parks?

Pretty soon we may not need to choose. I was in REI last night looking at the Mapsource Topo 2008 DVD. One of the staff told me that a rep had told him that Garmin was releasing a 24k topo version of the US sometime after the first of the year. He admitted, however, that he knew nothing about how long after the first of the year and what the pricing would be. So, I am planning to wait awhile and see what happens. Also, I am assuming that the national version of the 24k topo would have the same level of detail that the current national park versions have. I guess it is wait and see.

Pretty soon we may not need to choose. I was in REI last night looking at the Mapsource Topo 2008 DVD. One of the staff told me that a rep had told him that Garmin was releasing a 24k topo version of the US sometime after the first of the year. He admitted, however, that he knew nothing about how long after the first of the year and what the pricing would be. So, I am planning to wait awhile and see what happens. Also, I am assuming that the national version of the 24k topo would have the same level of detail that the current national park versions have. I guess it is wait and see.

That would be a great product. Anyone else heard about this coming out?