Garmin IRAQ maps

scuba dude

I am looking for a Garmin Iraq map. I need something better than the world basemap that comes pre-loaded. In an online search, I have seen a few companies selling basemaps that seem to piggy-back on with any other of the Garmin maps you load onto your GPSr. So I was wondering if any others have used these maps, and what thier opinion of them is.

I am heading to the sandbox very soon and could REALLY, REALLY use a good "local" GPS map.

SD

I did some looking while I was there, and wans't able to find anything great. What was out there, was extremely high priced. I still think it depends where you are (in country) as to what is really available and accurate as far as streets and roads are involved.

In the long run, I basically ran tracks while I was out, and saved "safe" locations in case we had to ditch our trucks.

Assuming you're military, won't the DoD have the best maps? (and far better GPSr's?)

No, the DoD procurement procedures are so painstakingly slow that any "new" equipment is typically obsolete by civilian standards. The military typically adopts OTS (off the shelf) products. There are a few areas where military technology exceeds civilian, but those areas are few and far between.

SD

I am looking for a Garmin Iraq map. I need something better than the world basemap that comes pre-loaded. In an online search, I have seen a few companies selling basemaps that seem to piggy-back on with any other of the Garmin maps you load onto your GPSr. So I was wondering if any others have used these maps, and what thier opinion of them is.

I am heading to the sandbox very soon and could REALLY, REALLY use a good "local" GPS map.

SD

Hey man good luck,

I have been there twice and on both occasions I was able to get a great escape and evasion map to carry with me. You should be able to the same. What is your mos? I am an mp, therefore we used maps along with some new type of radar based computer (kind of like a gps but was way more accurate) that let BDOC know if we came to a stop for to long of a period and the precise location.