Routes on Vista HCx

The best way to describe my problem is to give you the exact problem I am having. While in mapsource I am plotting out a specific hike directly to my cache and like to create an estimate of my tracks by creating a route. The entire time I use topo 2008 and it is on a unpaved service road so i follow up the road on the map clicking as turns come and for each spot I click it creates a title of the area either by the name of the road or by elevation which is fine because it allows my GPSr to follow a set of points. My problem is that when I look at my gpsr topo maps to follow the route but it shows everything name of each point along the route which pretty much blows my view of the actual route which is a problem. I did go into a few settings on my unit as well as on mapsource and can't seem to take them out of my view so I can view the route. I tried going to views and turning off user points (which took away any way points but not the actual turn along the route). Any help?