Finally Paperless on a Mac!

izzyvet

Downloaded MacCaching and Cachemate and it seems like I finally have this paperless thing down. I am a computer idiot (which is why I have a Mac) but it took me less than an hour to get both on my computer and running right. Now I just have to play with the pocket queries to get lists of Caches that aren't so big they will overwhelm my Palm.

Pretty excited right about now! :D

:) I just discovered MacCaching yesterday and it Rocks!!!!

Also using Cachemate on my Palm Treo 650 and equally excellent. Exported my finds today and getting ready to log them. In Cachemate when looking at a record (cache) go into menu under "View Options" and check off the option "View select with pushbutton" - actually I've checked all of those options. It makes working in the field super easy with treo arrows.

I definitely went online and paid the $15 and $8 respectively to support such fine little apps. Thanks dev team!

Macs OS X rock!

Glad someone else here is on a Mac.

One thing I noticed was missing from the cache info on Cachemate was the size of the cache. I was looking for one today and couldn't remember if is was listed as a micro or a regular size and could not find that info anywhere in Cachemate. Have you found anything that will tell me cache size??

Macs rule! I just got my new iMac. It's a big ol' thing...feel like I'm at a movie theatre. lol My old Mac was so far behind in upgrades it barely worked. I'm still getting use to all the OS changes... and having things actually WORK! It's a whole new world.

I am trying to get away from using the office computer (PC...UGH) to do things. Now, I think I will be "free" except for ONE thing...GSAK. I like GSAK but there is no Mac version. So...I guess I will continue to DL cache listings from the office (until I get busted for having non-work related stuff on my computer...)

BTW...went to the Leopard release event and got my free "X" Leopard T-shirt. :)

Seriously, check out MacCaching, you can try it for 30 days, free. It's a pretty cool program, works and looks a little like iTunes. I'm also stoked with my new Mac, it's a MacBook, DH bought it for me for my birthday. I had been running on an "old" (like 4 years) Power Cube. I loved that machine, but my laptop is so much faster and I'm sitting on the couch right now replying to this thread! That's so cool!!

And now I just take my laptop to work. At my job, when it's slow, I can just sit at my desk and surf or whatever, so I do alot of my GC research there. I'm really new to this, so it's fun to search out all the caches near my house, work and family's houses. I used to put caches I wanted to find in my print que and print out at home, now they are on my Palm and with me all the time!

Glad someone else here is on a Mac.

One thing I noticed was missing from the cache info on Cachemate was the size of the cache. I was looking for one today and couldn't remember if is was listed as a micro or a regular size and could not find that info anywhere in Cachemate. Have you found anything that will tell me cache size??

I recently switched over to paperless caching using my Mac. I picked up an decent Palm PDA (z22) on eBay for a good price, installed MacCaching and Cachemate (by all means pay the shareware fees if you use these programs - they are great, and its good karma to support their developers), and away I went. This is definitely the way to go.

Anyway, I also noticed that the cache container size information was not included in the cache info when loaded into my Palm from MacCaching. Also, the TB notification in list view did not work. The solution was to get the freeware program MacCMConvert (get v. 2.1). Use MacCaching to manage your waypoint lists and to send them to your GPS - but use MacMCConvert to send the saved edited file to your PDA. All info will then show up in Cachemate just fine, and adding the extra step of using MacCMConvert doesn't add any real inconvienence. Hope that helps!

Opps! Need to correct my last post slightly. MacCaching does not allow you (at least at this point) to save an edited cache list to the desktop, another folder, etc. As a result, you cannot edit, then save, and then open an edited file in MacCMConvert to send it to the PDA. MacCMConvert WILL open the file you get in your pocket query, and it will include the information about the cache container size, TB names, date info, etc., when you send to your PDA. If you use MacCaching to edit the pocket query file, you can only send the edited version by way of MacCaching, and will therefore not get that info into the PDA.

Hopefully, as the MacCaching program evolves, it will add the ability to send the cache size to PDAs, and become even more of a does-all-in-one program.

I was thrilled to see that other people have macs and geocache. Maccaching rocks, and I use my iPod video for paperless caching and it's saved my hide a couple of times. I'm still getting my GPS (Garmin 60cx) set up to my specifications but the maccaching helped so much. Now I don't have to kick my wife off of her computer to upload caches. My macbook is a lifesaver.