Help to ID mark

scolba

Hey guys, been a good long while since I posted here. The wife and I were hiking today at Matthiessen State Park near Oglesby, IL and I saw this rivet like thing in some man made structure. It was on the floor of the bluffs we were walking within along the creek bed. I couldn't find anything for it in the DB, and was hoping maybe you guys knew what it might be?

thanks, as usual!! :)

Scott

rivet.JPG

scolba,

Rivets like this are often set as benchmarks, but this one doesn't appear to be in the Geocaching database.

For an explanation of why many, if not most disks and other marks used for surveying and geodesy do not appear in the Geocaching database (which itself is a snapshot of the NGS database ca. 2002), please see the section I found a benchmark, but it isn't in the database. Why? in the benchmark FAQ.

-ArtMan-

ah, good deal. thanks!

so let me ask you guys this question then....since i don't have much benchmarking experience yet, and i def haven't found any rivet type bench marks before, would you guys say this rivet is consistent with how they generally look, or is this probably some other type of mark?

hum...so not looking much like a bench mark, eh? lol...its probably just a bolt of some sort to hold down the slab so it doesn't wash away when the water gets higher. :lol:

Yeah, thats a really cool area in IL. Sometimes I forget that there is more in IL than the endless corn and bean fields around me. :)

thanks for the help guys!