Garmin 60CSx v Vista HCx

shunra

I have been reading some old threads comparing the Garmin 60CSx and Vista HCx units, and would like to ask for some advice from people who have experience with these units:

Is it (still) true that the Vista has problems tracking at walking speed, or was that a teething problem that has been fixed?

Are there differences in the way the two units do auto-routing? (It's the one big feature that my MAP76S did not have.)

Is there any advantage that the 60CSx has over the HCx that outweighs the fact that the 60CSx - well - physically outweighs the HCx, that I should consider?

Thanks for any input!

Edited by shunra

I added a very short review of the HCX labeled "my review" and it should be in this forum

I like the HCX hands down, except for the mouse it has..........its just a crappy location

but the vista hcx is superior in every other way to the CSX.....and ive owned my CSX for a full year now

the HCX tracks just fine and is quite accurate with a stable signal, whenever they upgrade the 60 line I will probably buy another one of those only because of the crappy mouse placement on the HCX

Edited by gratefulHIKE

Is it (still) true that the Vista has problems tracking at walking speed, or was that a teething problem that has been fixed?

Are there differences in the way the two units do auto-routing? (It's the one big feature that my MAP76S did not have.)

Is there any advantage that the 60CSx has over the HCx that outweighs the fact that the 60CSx - well - physically outweighs the HCx, that I should consider?

1. Yes, that problem still exists with the latest HCx firmware.

2. If there is a difference, I can't tell from using both. The software in each is very similar and when I have set up routes side-by-side on both, they have given me the same results.

3. Sure, the CSx doesn't have the odometer bug. Other than that, it's really a matter of personal preference. My wife likes the button placements (and labels) on the CSx better. She says it's easier to remember which button to push and she prefers the single-push buttons on the CSx to the single-push/push-and-hold buttons on the HCx. I like the HCx better because my preferences are the opposite. I like the one-handed feel of the HCx. There's no right or wrong here (except for the odometer bug if you need that feature); it's about what you're more comfortable using. They're both excellent products and you really can't make a bad decision.

And I think it's been fixed. Garmin has released firmware version 2.40 for the Vista HCx, with the note:

"Changed odometer calculation to more closely match track log distance."

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3709

And I think it's been fixed. Garmin has released firmware version 2.40 for the Vista HCx, with the note:

That sounds like good news.

I have just ordered the HCx, and hope I'll get used to the button placement.

Thanks to all who helped me decide in this thread, and the related ones!

Well... they made it better, but according to testers, it still doesn't register very slow movement (such as when you're taking your time climbing a steep grade). It may or may not be able to be fixed by a firmware update. It's up to you to decide if that function is critical to you.