Pemission to hide a cache

aitchebee

I have searched these boards and the website trying to find out if I personally need to contact the local wildlife trust who manage an area where I would like to locate a cache. It is not one of the wildlife trusts mentioned on the GAGB site. Is there a particular pro forma letter which should be used, and is there a form which needs to be signed? I presume that I do not place the cache or submit it until permission has been obtained? Thanks for your help.

I have searched these boards and the website trying to find out if I personally need to contact the local wildlife trust who manage an area where I would like to locate a cache. It is not one of the wildlife trusts mentioned on the GAGB site. Is there a particular pro forma letter which should be used, and is there a form which needs to be signed? I presume that I do not place the cache or submit it until permission has been obtained? Thanks for your help.

Good luck! For the last 10 weeks I've been trying to get permission to place my first caches. I have 2 sites in mind, separated by about 8 miles, with entirely different authorities involved.

The one I've been talking to for longest sounds completely disinterested and has done nothing despite numerous emails and telephone calls. They have never even acknowledged any contact, and I only know they received them at all because I rang up and checked.

The other one I contacted only 10 days ago and they sounded quite interested on the phone, so I followed it up with an email. That too was never acknowledged, and I've been unable to get an answer from them since.

But I'm still trying.

Rgds, Andy

GAGB has a draft permission letter here that you can adapt for your own request. If the Wildlife Trust isn't listed then you can assume we (GAGB) aren't aware of an existing permission (or rejection). The key is to identify the right person, ideally the Warden/Ranger for the site you're interested in.

Thanks Dave, that is just what I was looking for

Helen

Dave is right, from personal experience your best to start by contacting the local Ranger/Warden for the location, who even if he/she feels unable to give permission can pass you up the chain by giving you a direct link to the appropriate person [who ever gives permission ask them to confirm it in writing, as this provides proof of permission for the future if the person leaves the employment of the landowner (again something learned from experience)]. In each case I've found a initial phone call to the person followed by a letter of request [for their records] is generally the best way to take [it gives you personal contact from the start, means that it's easier to chase up, and harder to ignore]. But please be patient as they have to prioritise their work load and Geocaching will not be top of the list.

aitchebee as it's a Wildlife Trust, you'll have to provide contact details of the person giving permission for the cache when you submit it for review

......For the last 10 weeks I've been trying to get permission........

<snip>

.....But I'm still trying.

Andy, You've got exactly the right approach and unfortunately 10 weeks isn't particularly unusual. One agreement took me over a year, and as far as I'm concerned the few rejections received are delays not permanent (perhaps until a change of staff)?

It is frustrating when you can't get permission for a particularly good location, but there are still thousands of other possibilities. Check out the GAGB agreements database in my sig line, one of the best is the Woodlands Trust which has a staggering number of nationwide locations included in the permission.

I'd recommend starting as low down the foodchain as possible....sometimes speaking to the person responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the place you have in mind is the best place to start. These are usually real people instead of just a bureaucrat and are genuinely interested in talking to you (usually just to avoid work for a while though!)

......For the last 10 weeks I've been trying to get permission........

<snip>

.....But I'm still trying.

Andy, You've got exactly the right approach and unfortunately 10 weeks isn't particularly unusual. One agreement took me over a year, and as far as I'm concerned the few rejections received are delays not permanent (perhaps until a change of staff)?

It is frustrating when you can't get permission for a particularly good location, but there are still thousands of other possibilities. Check out the GAGB agreements database in my sig line, one of the best is the Woodlands Trust which has a staggering number of nationwide locations included in the permission.

Yes, it can take a long while- one of mine took 4 months even though they told me on first contact that they would almost certainly allow the cache! Conversely, I have a cache on a SSSI that you might have expected would take a long time to get approved. I rang up the wrong landowner first, but they gave me the contact details of the right landowner and the body responsible for the SSSI. I rang both and they gave me verbal permission straightaway (followed up by paperwork in the post)- sorted in 10 minutes!

Get a contact within the organisation, at any level in any department, and work from there. It worked for me with the local council. :)

The Forestry Commission is one of the biggest problem organisations because they are so fragmented. I managed to do a one off permission for one of my caches in the Grantham scouts series, but after it had taken so long to do that, I lost the will to keep going and get them organised for the whole region. I think they have changed their regions around recently anyway, which make life even harder. :)

Bottom line is that to make a difference you have to have perseverance, then it can all fall into place.

... there are still thousands of other possibilities.

I'm not sure there are so many locations that are suitable for a regular size cache and close enough to me (in a built up area) to maintain well. Or maybe I just lack sufficient imagination :)

But there is good news, I did manage to get hold of the (second lot of) people again and they are positive, just busy. They hope to get back to me next week.

Before I started I think I got the wrong impression of how easy it would be by several times seeing posts where people managed to get a cache listed within a week of getting the idea for it.

Rgds, Andy