Could this be a chiseled square?

slippeddisk

I'm not sure on this one. I found two other squares before this one and they were smaller, about 1 1/4 inches square. This mark is in the described location, but I'm not sure its the mark. What do you think, I would like your comments.

the chiseled squares and crosses I have found have been no more than 2inches square. I'm SURE there's no real standard, and others here will probably say so. :DThis one (EE0061) is pretty darn standard for what I'd find in my part of the country.

I'm not sure on this one. I found two other squares before this one and they were smaller, about 1 1/4 inches square. This mark is in the described location, but I'm not sure its the mark. What do you think, I would like your comments.

the chiseled squares and crosses I have found have been no more than 2inches square. I'm SURE there's no real standard, and others here will probably say so. :DThis one (EE0061) is pretty darn standard for what I'd find in my part of the country.

Thats looks more like the ones I had found earlier in the day. This one KU1582 looks big and sloppy. I don't think its the mark.

slippeddisk

I wouldn't totally rule it out as being the mark in question though. I have seen sloppier stuff. This is a USE mark and as such won't have the sort of textbook precision that railroad marks seem to have--railroads were run as quasi-military organizations and rules were rules. Many railroads had standards for everything from locomotives down to brooms and lightbulbs.

The only way to really get an idea is to measure the distances on the datasheet and see if they match up. Only the one involving the hydrant is easy (if it exists) as they others require you to stand in the middle of the roadways. It is very hard to tell the age of the concrete in your pics, and for that matter, concrete age is difficult to discern at any time--different mixes look different and age differently, so the patch you show could be 10 years old or 100.

The fireplug and distance from the curb of Skillman Street should match. I don't see a fireplug in your pictures. I would guess it should be in the top of the first picture. At only 1 foot away it should be in the same concrete. If there's no sign of it, you can assume either the concrete is new or you're in the wrong spot. Either way, it's not the mark.

It seems like measuring 9.2 feet from the Skillman Street curb, and being on the edge of the curb of Bryant should be definitive and do not involve standing in the center of the highway. Hence the fireplug is the decider.

I've found in NYC fireplugs can easily be 100 years old. In Roslyn, a newer suburb, who knows. And USE or not, it doesn't look like a square.

Sorry.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Papa, I am not saying it IS the mark, but there are so many variables that I wouldn't rule it out either. I forgot about the distance from the curb, which is a very important measurement. I wouldn't put complete faith in the fire hydrant. Fire systems get upgraded and it is always possible that a complete new water main might have been run and the hydrant put in a different location. This would be much less likely than a telephone pole being replaced, but still could have happened. I don't trust anything I see if I can't validate it.

Papa, I am not saying it IS the mark, but there are so many variables that I wouldn't rule it out either. I forgot about the distance from the curb, which is a very important measurement. I wouldn't put complete faith in the fire hydrant. Fire systems get upgraded and it is always possible that a complete new water main might have been run and the hydrant put in a different location. This would be much less likely than a telephone pole being replaced, but still could have happened. I don't trust anything I see if I can't validate it.

I agree the fire hydrant may have been moved. But since the first shot seems to show at least 1 foot past the presumed mark to the north (which would be up if this is the west curb), the concrete would have shown the signs of the old hydrant (a circular patch of newer concrete, etc.). So:

If there is no sign or scar of the moved hydrant on the concrete then:

1) It's the wrong spot

or

2) the sidewalk was resurfaced.

Either way, the presumed mark would fail the test.

I agree the fire hydrant may have been moved. But since the first shot seems to show at least 1 foot past the presumed mark to the north (which would be up if this is the west curb), the concrete would have shown the signs of the old hydrant (a circular patch of newer concrete, etc.). So:

If there is no sign or scar of the moved hydrant on the concrete then:

1) It's the wrong spot

or

2) the sidewalk was resurfaced.

Either way, the presumed mark would fail the test.

The mark was a little over a foot from what appeared to be a new fire plug, set into very new concrete. The concrete that this mark is in is much older than the concrete around it. The mark looks better in the picture than it did in person. In fact I did not even consider it could be the mark until I got home and looked at the pictures. Thanks for your input, but until I get back to NY its going to remain a non mark for me.

slippeddisk