Have you ever found one of these?

slippeddisk

This is interesting, but it sure is off topic.

Capt. Lucien Carr III died a few days after the end of WWI in St Nazaire, France. He had Spanish Influenza.

There is a Lucien Carr III Professorship in Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Virginia, established in 1990

Further research might disclose whether he is related to the Lucien Carr who was associated with Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs. There is also a homicide in this Lucien Carr's story, for which he served time. His son, Caleb Carr, is the author of "The Alienist" and other highly-regarded fiction. But again, I am not sure whether these Carrs are related to the unfortunate flu victim from Winchester, VA.

-ArtMan-

My understanding is that there were several of these markers placed along Handley Boulevard when the school first opened in 1923 to honor students and/or teachers from the Winchester High School who had either served in WWI or had died in service.

Mr. Hugh Duffy was superintendent and he had served in WWI and was instrumental in having this done in addition to having a junior ROTC program at the new high school.

When the World War II Memorial Board was rededicated a few years back. one or more of the markers was placed in a display case in the vestibule of the auditorium along with a history of the markers. I am sure they are in storage now during the high school rumination. Doug Joyner, Principal of Handley may be able to tell you more. If not I am sure Eloise Strader of Dot Overcash will remember more than I do.

Mike Foreman

Local historian has cleared this one up.

Slippeddisk