Maps

Rhinomike

I am a newbie .... I have only been out 1 day. I have a Garmin etrex Legend HCX. One of the features is a voice prompt that will give me directions. I have downloaded some waypoints (cache's) to find. However when I go to find them I only get an arrow and a distance. I would like a map to appear to get me close then I could switch over to the arrow and distance. Is there some additional software that I need or does my GPS already do this and I just havent figured it out. Please help. Thanks.

The manual will explain all this. By the way, I really don't think any eTrex has voice prompting.

You have a base map that isn't very detailed, but will show the relative positions of you and your destination. You can also get extra maps, i.e. City Nav or Topo that will have a lot more detail of a type that depends on the map and what you prefer to do with your GPS (City Nav is better for travelling roads and Topo is better off road).

Edited by dogwalkers2

The manual will explain all this. By the way, I really don't think any eTrex has voice prompting.

You have a base map that isn't very detailed, but will show the relative positions of you and your destination. You can also get extra maps, i.e. City Nav or Topo that will have a lot more detail of a type that depends on the map and what you prefer to do with your GPS (City Nav is better for travelling roads and Topo is better off road).

What map form is most everyone else useing to Geocache? Thanks.

I just picked up a Vista HCX to replace my old B&W Vista. I purchased Topo 2008 because most of my caching is in the Northern Arizona Region. Not much city driving involved here at all, mostly forest roads. So far they have the major forest roads which works for us.

Depends how you are doing it. If primarily urban caching, I'd go with CN. If heading out into the "wilderness", I'd go with Topo. Personally, I use both, picking which one depending on the info I need.

Depends how you are doing it. If primarily urban caching, I'd go with CN. If heading out into the "wilderness", I'd go with Topo. Personally, I use both, picking which one depending on the info I need.

Where do I get the software? I think I will get them both.

Also what about the sim card or memory chip? Do I need that too? Sorry for so many questions but you guys are a big help. Thanks.

Where do I get the software? I think I will get them both.

Also what about the sim card or memory chip? Do I need that too? Sorry for so many questions but you guys are a big help. Thanks.

It appears that you live in the US; I'm in Canada, so I can't really tell you the best place to get them, although others on the board certainly could. The strong Canadian dollar (pretty much at par) may make a difference one way or the other, I don't know...Prairie Geomatics (http://www.prairie.mb.ca/) has CN/US Topo for $139/$109, respectively and they are great for quick, personal service, etc. I don't know their international shipping policies/other Customs issues, but you can always talk to them at 1-888-444-0302. Hopefully someone else can offer a comparison to US prices to put it into perspective for you, maybe with a better price.

I would suggest getting a 2GB microSD card from an electronics store, such as BestBuy, etc. 2GB is the biggest supported by Garmin, just don't get a SanDisk Ultra...it's known to be incompatible.

Edited by dogwalkers2

From the first post I think that you are asking bout having the map show while walking instead of the bearing/course arrow. Just hit the menu button (bottom left button) a couple of times from the arrow page - you will be back at the menu - then press the page button (top right side) and there is the map. As you get closer to the cache then press the page button again and you will get the course/bearing screen (arrow) and there you go.

As far at the maps go, for geocaching you do not really need them. There will be no streets in the bush and auto routing on a road will be useless to you. The maps are a necessity if you are going to use the GPSr for navigation in your car. As far as the SD card side you dont really need a 2GB card unless you are going to save and archive a rediculous number of tracks. With City Navigator North America NT you can fit all of North America, Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii - down to street level with addresses on less than 1 GB (960Mb). For most people the 64MB card that comes with the CX will be plenty unless you travel a lot unless you can get the 2 GB card cheaper than a 1 GB card.

As far as the TOPO maps go, check on Garmin's website and look at the maps in their viewer. See if they cover the areas where you will be. Most trails are not on the TOPO maps (I'm in Canada) - so you will just get contours for elevation - which your GPS will give you if you have a 4 satellite lock (not as accurate as a map though). However, I really don't care about the elevation. If there is a hill and I have to go up it - I go up it. The height of the hill doesn't matter. I have a StreetPilot 2820 and 2 Legend CXs. I have full maps (City Navigator North America NT Ver 8) loaded into the StreetPilot and one of the Legends. For caching, it makes no difference which legend I use.