What makes a great Travel Bug?

Primitive Person

So far, I've released just one Travel Bug into the wild - it's a disposable camera that I hope will complete an interesting photographic journey back to one of my caches. Anyway - I'm thinking of releasing some more in the future, and I'm interested to hear about some of the really good Travel Bugs people have found.

What are the coolest objects you've found? The most unusual? And what are the best missions you've come across? I'm after some real inspiration here. :laughing:

Lee

My favorite travel bugs so far have been ones with a funny story or a large, cute hitchhiker. One of my favorites, Montoya The Travel Buck, was released in jest to tease a local cacher who hit a deer on the way to a group outing to a cache with a long hike. His car was totaled and he never made it out to the outing. The joke plays on the character in Princess Bride, and the travel "buck" is saying, "My name is Montoya, you killed my father, now prepare to die". It is a stuffed deer. It started its journey at that particular cache.

My favourite is Fairbanks. He's heading for Fairbanks Alaska. We keep running into him locally and can't figure out why he isn't going home (other than maybe he doesn't want to).

The first time we found him, he was heading for Winter and was improperly dressed, so we added a sweater, warm jeans and a toque to his appearance. Then we found him again in Spring and changed his outfit to suit the Season. We gave him a lighter sweater and a cowboy hat. Haven't seen him lately. Does anyone have Fairbanks and how is he?

Monterry