Lowrance iFinder Exp. Questions

ThugDragon

Can anyone tell me if these are handy for caching? as far as reception and creating waypoints as you go

Is Lowrance a good brand with at least decent phone customer support?

I think i can get a new in box explorer for about $130, is this a good/average value?

How would it compare to a $75 iFinder GO 2, besides screen size?

- i see one has 12-channel and one has 16-channel - will i notice a difference in reception?

Sincerely,

Edited by ThugDragon

Can anyone tell me if these are handy for caching? --> Yes. I have found all the caches I've searched for.

as far as reception and creating waypoints as you go --> Lowrance units should lock on as fast as any other comparable gps. You can store 1000 waypoints in the gps and with SD memory card in the iFinder you can store lots more.

Is Lowrance a good brand with at least decent phone customer support? --> As far as I'm concerned they are a great brand. Very good value for the money. Phone support is good.

I think i can get a new in box explorer for about $130, is this a good/average value? --> I assume that you are in the USA and I'm not so I really can't comment.

How would it compare to a $75 iFinder GO 2, besides screen size? --> It incudes an electronic compass and barometer and has the SD/MMC card. It has 3" vs 2" diagonal display size. White LED backlight vs amber. The white LED is very bright if you are doing any night work.

- i see one has 12-channel and one has 16-channel - will i notice a difference in reception? --> I doubt very much that you would notice any significant difference.

The Lowrance website has an iFinder H2O (very similar to the Explorer) emulator which you can download and play with. It's a full working model which should give you a very good idea of the capabilities of Lowrance GPSrs.

Edited by LinXG

I am on my 3rd Lowrance Expedition. The second one quit after about 3 weeks - I called them and they had me box it up and send it in. It left on Wednesday, the replacement unit was here the next tuesday. Good 'nuff service for me!

I also had a card reader problem, the thing simply wouldn't work right out of the box. I called 'em and the guy talked me thru some tests, took about 1/2 hour - he could not get it to work, so he simply sent me a new one - it was here in 4-5 days and worked first try! Again, good 'nuff service for me!