Lowrance GlobalNav 200...Any Good?

driver695

I have a Lowrance GlobalNav 200. I bought it a few years ago when I sold my Garmin 45. Yes....I'm a penny pincher. I bought it here in the "for sale" forum.

The GlobalNav 200 is huge and heavy when compared to today's models. It uses 6 AA batteries. The screen has far too many options and this can make it seem difficult to use. It does not have WAAS but the difference between zero to 45 feet as compared to zero to 10 or 20 feet is minimal except maybe for someone who wants to do some geocaching on a serious basis. As an outdoorsman tool....it works very well. When fishing, I use the power from my 12 volt electric motor battery. Just the other day, I was fishing in a reservoir that is dotted with islands and long narrow bays. I had to find my way back to a narrows that led to my campsite. The GlobalNav took me right back without the least problem. When driving, I hook it up to my cigarette lighter and it indicates which side of the road I drive on. One time I went fishing and had to follow another car to the fishing spot. There were hundreds of small crossroads going left and right and I had to make many turns. On the way back, I was alone and it was during the night. I just followed my tracks back to my starting point. If this unit had a few megs of memory to store a couple of 20,000:1 maps for live update, I would be very very satisfied with it and would not hesitate to keep it. I'm hoping to buy a Garmin Legend if I can find a cheap used one because I would just love to be able to add just a couple of 50,000:1 or 20,000:1 maps.