Having trouble figuring out Explorist XL

ect1707

So I just got an XL and tried to download a cache from the geocaching.com website and lo and behold it says that they only support Garmin units???!!! Seriously? Can I really not download my caches directly onto my GPSr? This is the main reason that I upgraded from an Explorist 300!

Also, I bought Mapsend Direct Route software with my XL and have tried to download an area onto my GPS but keep getting a runtime error. Has anyone else run into this problem? These things combined with the fact that I thought the XL had a digital compass and I'm really beginning to regret my decision to buy an XL - need to hear positive stories from other XL users!!

Nicole

Don't have a hissy. Download GSAK and send the GPX files to it from Geocaching.com. You can then load the caches to your device from GSAK. If your a registered member ($) of Geocaching you can do "Pocket Queries" and get whole bunches of caches of your choosing sent directly to your email. You can then load the file in GSAK and send them all at once to your XL.

(As to your rant about the compass, that's your fault. You obviously didn't do your homework before your purchase.)

Caveat emptor

Edited by Indotguy

Thanks for your help Indotguy...I had actually put the XL in my hand at the store before purchasing it and thought that it did have an EC. Somehow I screwed that up. It's not that I didn't try. Do you need a cup of coffee this morning? Go easy on me! I do appreciate the info though...will get on it.

I don't have an XL, but I have experience with the Explorist 210. If you're not wanting to use GSAK (it's hard to imagine why, I love it), you can use Magellan's Geocache Manager. I'm under the impression that it comes with all the Magellans. I used Geocache Manager for a long time (happily, I may add). Geocache Manager can even handle PQs (if first unzipped), .loc files, and .gpx files.

The send to GPS through GC.com is only for Garmins, but imo, you're not missing much. The send to GPS option only sends the .loc file and you're really better off with a .gpx file anyway.

In addition to my 210, I also have a Garmin 60CSX and I still don't use the send to GPS function at GC.com.

The above poster's opinion about using PQs (as a premium member) and GSAK is good advice, albeit a little harsh.

Edited by Jenischmeni

gpx format includes lots of information like logs, hints, and descriptions. GSAK is able to maintain all that information in a database on your computer, and allow you to slice and dice the database in many ways to get a smaller subset of caches on which to focus (e.g., to upload to your GPS and/or PDA). But gpx output does require signing up for the paid membership.

Geocache manager can take gpx or the freely-available loc files (which have little more than the name and coords), but it lacks the bells and whistles that enamor GSAK to many of us. Its chief attribute is that it is relatively simple to learn to use, so it makes a great starting place. I'd suggest beginning there, and after you get a feel for what it can do for you then give GSAK a try (it's nagware, software that you can try for free but will start after a period to make you wait for the program to start up longer and longer times unless you pay the modest registration fee.

Edited by embra

I have the Explorist 210 and a 60CSX so I can fairly judge them both. Yes, the 60CSX is a beauty and love it to pieces. But, I've not got rid of my 210 either. It was such a sweet little unit that I can't bear to part with it. Why did I get a 60CSX? "cuz it's COOL! Is it more accurate than the 210? No. The main benefit is the mapping properties. (Although if I'd purchased the mapping software for the 210 maybe I wouldn't have wanted the 60CSX.) The best thing about the 60CSX is that you can change the caches to "found" in it and I couldn't in the 210. After the cache is "found" in the 60CSX, I can then choose for it to find the next closest cache and just continue on that way on my caching trek.

I don't know the price of the XL and how it compares to the 60CSX. If they're the same price, yes, I'd probably choose the 60CSX, because there's so much that little baby can do. If it's a matter of money and the XL is cheaper, I think it'll make a fine unit for you. (And you can always upgrade later.)

Regarding the file types: Yes, the .gpx file contains a LOT more information than a .loc file. As an example: If you load a .loc file into Magellan's Geocache Manager, you're only going to get the name, GC#, owner and coordinates. But, if you load a .gpx file into Magellan's Geocache Manager, you'll get all of the above AND terrain, difficulty, date placed, last date found, and BEST OF ALL...the hint!

Now, why is GSAK better than Magellan's Geocache Manager? If you load a .gpx file, or pocket query, into GSAK you can get all the above and tweak it to show you other stuff. Like the last four logs. You can use GSAK to export to a palm and you can read the cache pages on a small device while you're out at the cache site (including the last four logs - handy to know if others hadn't been able to find it either).

If you're not going to go paperless, Magellan's Geocache Manager can probably fulfill your needs. If you're going paperless, you're going to need GSAK, more than likely.

I hope I answered the questions for you.