first gps unit

ssjcallstot

looking to get my first gps unit is the geko 201 worth getting.

Unless you really need to keep a gps in your purse, it's not a very good choice. Bad battery life too. At that price range if you want to buy new, a better choice would be the eTrex Venture, that's the green one.

However still in that price range I think a very good choice would be to pick up a second hand eTrex Vista (monochrome) on eBay you can get them in mint condition for $120.

The new models with the high sensitivity reciever (they have an H in the name) are very tempting but I would urge you to resist getting the only one in your price range, the basic yellow eTrexH because it is a pain in the butt to use.

I just picked up a Geko 201 as my first GPS unit a few weeks ago. My motivations were very similar to yours and I scouted them on Ebay for a while before I bought it. Ended up getting it for $40. If you can find it for close to that I can tell you that your newbie experience with it for caching will be just fine. If you are going to buy new I think the Geko is probably not a great idea since there are better units at very similar prices. But Gekos do go for much lower on Ebay. Mine wasn't used, either. You can find them in the original packaging.