eTrex Vista HCX prices, suitability for motorcycle

BuckyBuck

I'm ready to say goodbye to my old Garmin GPS V. I've used it on my motorcycle, and lately been using it for some geocaching. But I'm disappointed with how often it loses a signal, and how bulky it is.

I'm thinking about replacing it with the Vista HCX. This is a whole new world to me, so I could use some help. First, how suitable would you think this would be as a motorcycle GPS? I should note that before I got the GPS V, I had the older eTrex Legend, and its display began disappearing intermitently, apparently because of a ribbon cable connector inside it being rattled loose by the bike. After I got the GPS V, I learned from the Geocaching forum that my display problem was common enough on the eTrex Legend that someone posted repair steps for it. Hopefully, the Vista HCX doesn't have the same problem?

I understand that the HCX has auto-routing, but apparently this depends on what maps you get for it, right? In any event, auto-routing isn't that important to me on a bike, since I tend to wander when I'm riding my bike, rather than trying to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. I have a Mio 310x for my car that does auto-routing , so I realize how handy it can be, but that's just not how or why I ride my bike. Mainly, I want a GPS to show me where I am, what's around me, and maybe where I'll be at some later time.

And I'm so confused about all the map options!!! Which maps do you get? I looked at Garmin's site and it looks like the TOPO US 2008 maps have road information. So would you, or why would you, also need City Navigator maps?

Finally, what's a good vendor and price for the HCX? I found a price of $219.98 with $9.75 shippping from a vendor called Shop ePal. Is that about as good as it gets?

Yeah $220 is about as good as you'll get. You definitely will not be disappointed with the signal that is for certain. I was using my new Vista HCx on my motorbike yesterday. I just had it around my neck on the lanyard and I was astounded that I could still hear it beep when a turn was coming up! even though my bike is quite noisy (that's my own made route not an auto route). I found it very handy to have around my neck and just have a bit of a look when I needed it rather than have it mounted on the bike. But if you have a fully faired bike it may be different. After all is is meant to be a hand held unit and as such it works better at a distance of about 14 inches.

I also like that I could keep an eye on the speedo while I was looking at it because the etrex can register speed very accurately. In Australia the Metroguide does not do autorouting only the City Navigator does. But this might be different elsewhere.

I'm only guessing but I can't see that a topo map will have all the back streets on it that you would want, otherwise the normal street maps would be redundant.

Edited by gallet
And I'm so confused about all the map options!!! Which maps do you get? I looked at Garmin's site and it looks like the TOPO US 2008 maps have road information.

Welcome to the world of Garmin Map Confusion. Figuring out which map product has the detail you want is the easy part. Wait till you try and figure out their multitude of licensing and anti-pirate schemes.

Go here http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/ and enter a map product on the Viewer. Use the zoom and detail options to view the map products for the area you are interested in. That tool should help with your decision.

I use the Vista HCx on my motorcycle...it's a road bike. I have a Techmounts control mount(http://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=76) with a RAM cradle and it works great and has a clean appearance. No issues seeing it through a visor and I have one of those screen protectors on the GPSr. I have City Nav for the US. I also tried the 60CSx, but took it back because even at the highest level of brightness I could not see it while riding in some lighting conditions.

Geoprincess,

This is where I'm confused. I used the Garmin website Viewer and found my little culdasac street in the suburbs showing up just fine on US TOPO. Is the only advantage to City Navigator over the topo map the POI's? I take it that the TOPO maps don't do auto-routing, which is okay by me.

Since I plan to use this unit for geocaching and the occasional hike as well as on my motorcycle, it looks more and more like the TOPO maps are the ones I want. Soooo, now my question is do I get the maps on DVD or Micro SD card? If I were to use my own SD card (which I would prefer), what capacity and brand work well with the eTrex?

I agree the dvd is the way to go. I think the Vista HCX has a 2GB card limit at this time. That could change with firmware. However, there is also a 2025 segment limit and you will reach that with the topo maps long before you reach the 2GB limit. Smart thing would be to buy 1GB cards which will hold 2025 map segments. I think (3) 1GB cards will hold all Topo maps for the USA.