Re-placing puzzle cache

NDPeter

The background

I have a puzzle cache that was recently muggled repeatedly in short order. It'd lasted a while and I thought I was out of the danger period of worrying that a muggle woudl come across it and even then I had faith that my colorful labels and stash note would give me some protection...alas, I wish everyone to have too good a heart.

Anyway, I had resorted to rehiding this regular cache as a micro for lack of a suitable nearby place for a cache that size. I didn't really want to hide another magnetic key holder around and turns out all the metal I had scouted was non-magnetic.

The Issue

I've scouted an area in a nearby park that would make this cache a little harder to grab (I wanted it to be about the puzzle more than the hunt) and would be good for a hide - i'm back looking for small to regular spots. However, the coords I collected are about .9 miles from the original "correct" coords, and they just barely don't fit into the cache separation guidelines. (480 feet from one and 526 feet from another) I wouldn't be so set on this location except I want to get my cache back up and running, and I'm hard up for a place near the original coords (which can't be changed without ruining the puzzle.)

The Question

1) Do reviewers keep the coords of actual locations of puzzles in some sort of database? I think I've heard stories of people being unable to place caches because they were too close to other caches even though none had shown up in their searches. This would imply such a list exists.

2) The great Keystone reviewed my cache originally and posted it...is it appropriate to send reviewers messages through their accounts?

Thanks for your insights.

Reviewers also read the forums, so I appreciate your honesty in asking about what to do. Calling your reviewer "great" doesn't hurt, either! :anitongue: You will find that when you are upfront with your reviewer, they are happy to help you solve an issue.

I get dozens of e-mails each day with questions about caches. By all means, write to me through my profile with the details, including coordinates, and any other information you don't want to share in a public forum. We will figure out what to do.

And yes, there is a big database where all the "Additional Waypoints" for puzzles and multicaches are stored. The reviewers have special software tools where we can test any location to see whether it is too close to a nearby puzzle solution cache, or a stage in a multicache. It is a huge timesaver for us and we are very grateful to the Groundspeak developers for adding that functionality. This is why the reviewers are so insistent about supplying the coordinates for multi's and puzzles using the Additional Waypoints feature.

1) Do reviewers keep the coords of actual locations of puzzles in some sort of database?

Reviewers keep track of all the final and intermediate waypoints.

2) The great Keystone reviewed my cache originally and posted it...is it appropriate to send reviewers messages through their accounts?

It is appropriate.

In fact, Keystone isn't even my reviewer and I send him messages all the time. Mostly we talk about Vinny behind his back. Please don't tell Vinny.

Dude, you still owe me $100 for when I gave you the final coordinates for Vinny's Psycho Urban Cache series. Gotta love them additional waypoints.

Yes. They came in very handy. Thanks again. :anitongue:

So what gives? Did you lose my PayPal address?

Oops! Sorry - I thought you told me to give the money to gpsfun. Check with him, he probably still has it.

:anitongue:

I get dozens of e-mails each day with questions about caches. By all means, write to me through my profile with the details, including coordinates, and any other information you don't want to share in a public forum. We will figure out what to do.

Thanks for the help. I'll send a message along here in the next few days and hopefully something works out. In the meantime I picked up some great tips for finding those other puzzle caches which have stumped me :anitongue: