GPS receiver question?

me2xv

I just purchased my first automobile GPS receiver the Magellan Maestro 3140 last week and I recently heard about the whole geocaching thing. I was wondering, would I be able to use the GPS receiver I just bought for geocaching? I'm not seeing a way to enter coordinates yet. Unfortunately, I'm thinking the answer is no.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Michael

I looked over the manual at http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/...0_Manual_EN.pdf

The unit looks like a great unit for what it is designed for: Driving. It is not optimum for geocaching.

You could use the Current Location screen to see the longitude/latitude raw numbers and get to geocaches that way. I first used my GPS that way until I figured out how to do a "Go To" to a hand-entered point of interest. You would write down the coordinates of the cache, then get to the cache's coordinates. It isn't hard. Go north to have your current location latitude increase, go west to have your longitude to increase (assuming you are in U.S.).

I think the real challenge would be when you get close. Some caches are drive-up, but most are off the road a short distance. Can you take the unit from your car and have it powered up?

For geocaching you probably would be happier with a hand-held unit. A cheap one can be found for about $100. Just be sure to get one that can be connected to a computer. You will quickly tire of entering coordinates by hand.

Of course I might have missed a better way. I mostly scanned the table of contents in the manual. I am not an expert on your unit.

Oh, and welcome to geocaching! It is an incredible amount of healthy fun! You'll see things that you never imagined or expected to see.

I just purchased my first automobile GPS receiver the Magellan Maestro 3140 last week and I recently heard about the whole geocaching thing. I was wondering, would I be able to use the GPS receiver I just bought for geocaching? I'm not seeing a way to enter coordinates yet. Unfortunately, I'm thinking the answer is no.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Michael

I would get a handheld unit anyhow. You can easily drop your GPS while caching and dropping a nice auto GPS isn't worth it.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input about my question. My crazy work schedule is making it hard to even look for a hand held unit, let alone go geocaching. Hopefully, I will be able to get out and start looking for a unit one of these days. Thanks again!

-Michael