Finding NEW geocaches

mhravager

Fastest way I know is to become a premium member, create a pocket query for the area you are interested in for "caches that have never been found", but don't run it. You can preview it any time to see any new caches in the area. The PQ gives you "instaneous" data once the PQ is created.

You can also set up automatic notifications as a premium member, but they can sometimes take some time to get to you, depending on how often email comes through your server from gc.

As a non-premium member, I suppose all you can do is continually click through the local caches, waiting for a new one to pop up. You can look at the latest caches published in your state/country--but depending on where you live, that may not be very helpful because most of them will be too far away.

It's helpful to know if your local reviewers have a "usual time" they tend to publish caches, too, and take a peek around that time. Since most reviewers work a full time job in addition to volunteering to review caches, it's often possible to figure out when they typically find some time to look over the new offerings.

there's an even faster way! but once again...you have to be a premium member. once you do that though, you can get instant notifications. just go the "my account" page and under "premium features" click on "set up notifications". then fill out the junk and stuff, then when a new cache is placed within the set distance (which you can set to whatever you want) it will send you an email with the a link to the cache page. and there you have it. but, since you're not a premium member you cannot do this, you should sign up!

Is there normally a race to be first to find?

We got our first cache approved the 17th, finally today the 23rd we had our first log - six days before someone gave it a shot - the kids have been checking it 10X a day.

OBTW - it was a DNF. :)

I think it depends on your area and the number of caches(and types) in your area. I live in an area where mostly urban caches are placed and there is indeed a race for FTF. If you do not leave the house within a few minutes of getting the cashe publication e-mail, you are likely to be third. I see where your cache is a multi, from what I see in the forums multi's and puzzles seem to get less traffic than a regular cashe also.

Fastest way I know is to become a premium member, create a pocket query for the area you are interested in for "caches that have never been found", but don't run it. You can preview it any time to see any new caches in the area. The PQ gives you "instaneous" data once the PQ is created.

You can also set up automatic notifications as a premium member, but they can sometimes take some time to get to you, depending on how often email comes through your server from gc.

As a non-premium member, I suppose all you can do is continually click through the local caches, waiting for a new one to pop up. You can look at the latest caches published in your state/country--but depending on where you live, that may not be very helpful because most of them will be too far away.

It's helpful to know if your local reviewers have a "usual time" they tend to publish caches, too, and take a peek around that time. Since most reviewers work a full time job in addition to volunteering to review caches, it's often possible to figure out when they typically find some time to look over the new offerings.

well how much does premium members cost?

RE: the Gig Harbor Cache. I live in Bremerton and have found caches in your area. I looked at your cache page. You didn't say weither the bearing was magnetic or true. Also for most people going that far on a heading could cover quite an area. I am sure it is a very nice cache. Just not one that a FTF addict is going to go after just after it is published. Since you are a pilot, I would assume you used a compass heading. A friend of mine Bruce, Ajetpilot is a retired Navy Commander flyer and a retired Airline Capt.and lives in the Olalla area. I am sure he could find time to try out your cache and make suggestions. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

RE: the Gig Harbor Cache. I live in Bremerton and have found caches in your area. I looked at your cache page. You didn't say weither the bearing was magnetic or true. Also for most people going that far on a heading could cover quite an area. I am sure it is a very nice cache. Just not one that a FTF addict is going to go after just after it is published. Since you are a pilot, I would assume you used a compass heading. A friend of mine Bruce, Ajetpilot is a retired Navy Commander flyer and a retired Airline Capt.and lives in the Olalla area. I am sure he could find time to try out your cache and make suggestions. Dick, W7WT

Thanks for the input - I added that the bearing is magnetic. I just assumed people would assume that, being that it was intended as a compass bearing.

Actually, due to the unique nature of the area, the bearing isn't really that important - no significant error is possible.

Give the cache a try and you'll see.

Thanks for the input - I added that the bearing is magnetic. I just assumed people would assume that, being that it was intended as a compass bearing.

Actually, due to the unique nature of the area, the bearing isn't really that important - no significant error is possible.

Give the cache a try and you'll see.

We've started putting mils in for bearings on caches like that. Makes for less error. If people know what mils are.