Explorist 500 and DC charger

gates59

I have a explorist 500 and a dc chager that I want to use on my atv. When I connect it to my atv it shows that it is charging the battery not in external power like my sportrak did. I want to know if it will run down the battery if I shut down my atv for a while. Has anyone tried this. I have a rally to go to this weekend and don't want to keep unpluging it all the time. THNX.

I am aware of two types of outlets in a vehicle.... those that keep the current flowing from the vehicle battery when the ignition is turned off, and those that stop the current flow when the ignition is turned off. The GPS will continue to stay on in either case, running off the GPS rechargeable battery. You didn't mention which battery you were concerned about running down. I can't imagine that trickle charging the GPS battery would run down the ATV battery excessively. If you have it plugged into an outlet that keeps the current flowing, the GPS battery will fully charge in time and there wouldn't be any further current flow if you left the GPS in off state. I would expect that you normally would not have the GPS turned on when not in use for an extended period of time. So, if that was true, you should come back to a fully charged GPS and an ATV that would still start..... hopefully. On the other hand, if the current stopped flowing when you turned off the ATV, the GPS battery would eventually run down to a state that would cause the GPS to turn itself off due to low power. No harm no foul. Once you restore external power to the GPS by turning on the ATV, the GPS will be usable and will start charging.

Thanks for the reply. I was going atving and when I stop for a while I was going to shut off my gps but it is still charging because I have bypassed the power on the atv to stay on all the time. I hate the anoying beeping that says lost external power. I was just wondering if leaving it charging for lets say 20 minutes if it would drain my atv batt. I do have a large one in there buy it is an efi and it needs lots of juice to start. I guess I can always change back the power to shut off when atv is turned off. Thanks again Trail Buzzards