European or US Basemap

RichMTB

Dear Forum,

I'm new to GPS and thinking of buying my first unit. I looked at Garmin Vista HCx and it seems to fit my requirments. However, one question.

I'm regularly travelling in Europe and US but predominantly in Europe. I noticed that the price of the unit is much lower in North America than it is in Europe and tried to find a reason for this.

Since the power is AA batteries and I don't think you get a charger, the difference could be:

- Conformity - but I can't find out whether both Europe and US versions are FCC and ECE conform

- Base map - The units are listed as having either a European or US base map in the descriptions on Garmin's US and European websites.

So do I need the base map or does this become irrelevant when I install mapping software?

Is there a way to make the unit work in both countries or swap countries? Since I travel in both continents, I'd rather have the ability to do both. Of course, I'd buy the unit in the US because the price is about 100 dollars less.

Many thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Richard

Dear Forum,

I'm new to GPS and thinking of buying my first unit. I looked at Garmin Vista HCx and it seems to fit my requirments. However, one question.

I'm regularly travelling in Europe and US but predominantly in Europe. I noticed that the price of the unit is much lower in North America than it is in Europe and tried to find a reason for this.

Since the power is AA batteries and I don't think you get a charger, the difference could be:

- Conformity - but I can't find out whether both Europe and US versions are FCC and ECE conform

- Base map - The units are listed as having either a European or US base map in the descriptions on Garmin's US and European websites.

So do I need the base map or does this become irrelevant when I install mapping software?

Is there a way to make the unit work in both countries or swap countries? Since I travel in both continents, I'd rather have the ability to do both. Of course, I'd buy the unit in the US because the price is about 100 dollars less.

Many thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Richard

It is more expensive in Europe because we get ripped off in Europe and especially the UK. There are some places selling the GPSMAP 60CSX for the equivalent of $1100-00, i got mine at a bargian price and still paid the equibalent of $560-00.

PS the base maps are not worth the space they take.

It will work anywhere in the world (with or without maps).

Edited by rorywquin

It is more expensive in Europe because we get ripped off in Europe and especially the UK. There are some places selling the GPSMAP 60CSX for the equivalent of $1100-00, i got mine at a bargian price and still paid the equibalent of $560-00.

PS the base maps are not worth the space they take.

It will work anywhere in the world (with or without maps).

Thanks for the advice

Anyone know about the Vista US ability to deal with more than one language (e.g. German) and the metric system for distances?

I've seen the Vista in Amazon at low cost but where is the best place to buy in the US. I'm in Cape Cod next month (flying to Boston MA).

Richard

Once you put other maps on, the basemap becomes irrelevant. I've used my old Legend in Europe with no problems and a limited basemap.

Metric is not an issue. I have distance and speed set up metric and altitude and depth in feet. Pressure can be millibars, hectopascals or inches Hg.

Looking at the options on my Vista HCx, there are English, French, Spanish and Portuguese. It looks like you'd be out of luck for German with a North American model.

I live in Canada, so I couldn't tell you the best place to buy in the US.

Buy in the US if you can. The dollar rate is excellent plus products tend to be cheaper there for some reason. I got my Venture Cx there (with US base map and I am in Ireland)

You can get a free official Garmin world wide base map here.( Scroll down to Garmin basemap section). I have installed it on my unit and it works great.

Also if you need a microSD card get it in the US too. They're so cheap there, they're practically giving them away!

Edited by passdump