houston airport

megplant

Hi y'all,

My wife and I have a layover in the houston (bush) airport for a couple of hours on a trip later this month. I"m guessing this is unlikely with the restrictions on caches near airports... but there aren't any caches close enough to the airport that we could grab them during such a short layover? (and even get to them for that matter). Just thought I'd check...

I don't know about any caches in the area, but have you been to Houston Intercontinental before?

It's HUGE! I'm not sure that a 2 hour layover would be sufficient time to do any kind of cache there, unless it's something hidden in one of the terminals.... if you count on 45 minutes for changing terminals and boarding that would leave you only 1:15 to try to find anything...

Good luck, though, maybe you'll find something in the area. I looked and the zip code is 77032.

Checking "map-it," these are the two closest caches:

GCH1DJ

and

GC116TK

Enjoy... Houston is my home town, even if I DO live in Sweden now! :)

Yeah, forget it. With a 2 hour layover, you'll be lucky to catch your second plane in time, if it's in another terminal. Between the travel and the idiotic security folks, good luck. I picked up my niece there the other day, and it took almost 3 hours for her to get off the plane, through security, and out the gate. You'll have to get a taxi if you do try to leave, because it's miles to the airport exit, and then more miles to the nearest cache. You can't walk it and get back within 2 hours, even if you're an Olympic speed walker.

Yeah, forget it. With a 2 hour layover, you'll be lucky to catch your second plane in time, if it's in another terminal. Between the travel and the idiotic security folks, good luck. I picked up my niece there the other day, and it took almost 3 hours for her to get off the plane, through security, and out the gate. You'll have to get a taxi if you do try to leave, because it's miles to the airport exit, and then more miles to the nearest cache. You can't walk it and get back within 2 hours, even if you're an Olympic speed walker.

Yeah... that's what we guessed. I just thought check in case there was a virtual in the airport or something lol. And I'll print out the two caches linked above in case we end up with the flight delayed some extraordinary amount of time. Thanks!

Well, I am a Houston resident, and I say go for it! I would, if I had two hours. Now, in all likelihood, your incoming flight will be delayed and it will be tight making your connecting flight, but IF you have an hour or more, I would taxi it over to either Funny Girl's TB Hilton or Motel 3. Both are great TB hotels near the airport for travelers. I hit Motel 3 a lot to exchange bugs, but I haven't found the Funny Girl one yet. Near Motel 3, there is a virtual called First Into the Fire that is worth checking out. Security lines have historically not been long at IAH even since 911. I have flown many times since then in different airports and IAH has always had the shortest security lines. If you do get out, be aware that the skeeters really are bigger in Texas, and have been known to carry off small pets and children :):):)