loading topo maps into map source

Hi, Had to reformat my computer and I cant rememebr how to get garmin topo maps loaded into map source so I can transfer them to my 76csx. I want to reload them via hard drive since I have already downloaded the maps to my hard drive.

thanks for the help

If you have the original disks, then your registry should already have keys created for products 6,7,8,9 (east, west, Hawaii, Alaska) (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Garmin, Mapsource, Products, 6,7,8,9)

If not, you can create those keys.

When you create the products folder a default key is created with the value (TYPE) REG_SZ (data field is blank)

add keys Folder, InstalDir, Language, SourceDir, all with values (TYPE) REG_SZ (data fields Mapsource, C:Garmin\ (or where mapsource is located),ENGLISH, D: (or the DVD drive for your computer from which the topo originated ) in the Products Folder with the entries you just created, add a new subfolder 6. A default key is created (leave that alone). To that folder

add subkeys Bmap, (location of your East img files\ Topo100USE.img)Loc (location of your img files, Tdb (location of your East img file\ Topo100USE.tdb), repeat the process for keys subfolders 7,8,9, substituting Topo100USW, Topo100Hawaii, Topo100Alaska.

If you don't do this correctly, you may destroy your Mapsource, or worse, your computer.

Edited by GeoidPS

If you don't do this correctly, you may destroy your Mapsource, or worse, your computer.

Just be sure and backup your registry before modifying it and you should be OK, even if you screw up somewhere. From regedit, select file/export, be sure 'All' is selected under 'Export range', give it a file name and save it to a safe place.