How to store from Mapsource to SD card via cardreader?

Locke

Hi all,

I would like to transfer all the Metro Guide Maps from Mapsource to my 2 GB SD card by using a USB 2.0 card reader. USB 1.1 by directly connecting my 60CSx is far too slow - I want as much maps on the card as possible.

What do I have to do? I've read something about IMG files?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks for your good explanation and names of needed programs.

LockeHL.

Insert your card in the reader. With mapsource open, use the map tool to select the desired selections on all installed maps, ie, topo, metroguide, city navigator. The map tool can be accessed from the icon or the tool menu. Click on each segment and they turn pink indicating selected status.

Next, send the selected map segments to the card via "send to device", via the icon or transfer menu. In the dialog box select your card in the device list. Then click on "send. The maps are on their way!!

Plug in card reader to USB port and make sure your computer recognizes the card mak a note of the device name (i.e., F-drive)

Start Mapsource

Select all maps maps you want to transfer

From menu, select Transfer - Send to Device

Select the card reader as the device (in this example it would be the F-drive)

Check Maps under What to Send

Click Send

Wait patiently for transfer to complete

When done, plug card into 60CSx and start unit. There will be a delay as the maps compile.

That's it.

Thanks for your answers, Glenn_W and fratermus.

@Glenn_W: There is already a directory on F: called "garmin". In this directory is a gmsupp-IMG file (I guess the name is like this; I am sitting at work now).

Do I have to erase this one?

And do I have to save the maps from Mapsource into the directory "garmin"? Will it be an IMG?

Thanks in advance. LockeHL.

Plug in card reader to USB port and make sure your computer recognizes the card mak a note of the device name (i.e., F-drive)

Start Mapsource

Select all maps maps you want to transfer

From menu, select Transfer - Send to Device

Select the card reader as the device (in this example it would be the F-drive)

Check Maps under What to Send

Click Send

Wait patiently for transfer to complete

When done, plug card into 60CSx and start unit. There will be a delay as the maps compile.

That's it.

@Glenn_W: There is already a directory on F: called "garmin". In this directory is a gmsupp-IMG file (I guess the name is like this; I am sitting at work now).

And do I have to save the maps from Mapsource into the directory "garmin"? Will it be an IMG?

MapSource will take care of all of it, including replacing the existing .img. You just select the maps and click the "Send to Device" icon.

MapSource will take care of all of it, including replacing the existing .img. You just select the maps and click the "Send to Device" icon.

The file named 'gmapsupp.img' is the 'supplemental' mapset that is currently on the SD card and is the mapset you are seeing when the GPS is operating and this SD card is in the unit. This is NOT the basemap which cannot be overwritten. Be sure you want to actually delete this mapset before uploading any maps to the unit. If you want, you can backup this file so you may use it again just in case. If you upload any new maps to the unit, this file *will* be overwritten so be forewarned. MapSource does NOT warn you of this. Be sure and read the link that 'fratermus' posted in his reply.