Hiding caches in Halton region, Ontario

Flah_and_Kids

Hi,

I am new to geocaching and I have been reading the rules and regulations before I can start hiding or seeking.

I would like to create geocaches with some geocoins and travel bugs for my children to hide and then follow their route around the world in their missions but I have read that Ontario parks won't allow caches in any of the provincial parks.

Does anybody know if that applies to Halton Conservation area parks?

I have seen some caches around Kelso lake which belongs to Halton Conservation. Who should I contact to notify of the placement in case I do hide one in any of the Halton conservation area parks?

Thanks,

FayeC

Hello,

I generally communicate with Halton Conservation Areas via email. You can typically find an email address for the parks at the Conservation Halton website - http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/

The Kelso and area parks can be reached at 905.336.1158, as seen from this website:

http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/ShowCa...fm?subCatID=996

I find the typical response is within a day or two from the parks. As far as I am aware, there is no formal policy regarding the placement of caches within parklands in Halton Region. Having said that, you would be wise to carefully consider the placement of your geocache to ensure that it would be well received by land managers. Keep it close to a trail, and away from environmentally or historically sensitive areas.

Another thought (and I am likely opening myself up to a flame war here since this has been debated time and time again) is that I would encourage you to do a little bit of geocaching before you place your caches. I am sure your intentions are good, but more than a few times caches have been placed by brand new cachers without really understanding what makes a good or bad cache placement.

Maybe cache for the summer and then place your caches labor day weekend with the kids each having a TB in circulation and then make it a race...either across the country or a certain distance or whatever. Just a thought.

Welcome to the addiction....I mean, hobby :rolleyes:

Another thought (and I am likely opening myself up to a flame war here since this has been debated time and time again) is that I would encourage you to do a little bit of geocaching before you place your caches. I am sure your intentions are good, but more than a few times caches have been placed by brand new cachers without really understanding what makes a good or bad cache placement.

Maybe cache for the summer and then place your caches labor day weekend with the kids each having a TB in circulation and then make it a race...either across the country or a certain distance or whatever. Just a thought.

Welcome to the addiction....I mean, hobby :rolleyes:

Yep....I get it. I am already caching....just virtual ones and mostly downtown TO. I am still looking for a GPS unit that would fit our needs and that would also fit the budget.

Thiking of getting a used unit on ebay but then I might just go with a cheaper new unit that comes with the TOPO Canada pre-installed.

I got tow caches today and without a GPS. Thank goodness for Googlemaps and the willingness to wander around looking for the right caches.

I was unable to find the Milton GO station one though.......I will probably need the GPS unit for that one......

Thanks for the advice. Anything is appreciated at this point.

FayeC