Managed Bookmark Lists

tozainamboku

A common thread we see is shouldn't night caches, scuba caches, travel bug hotels, etc. have there own type. People discover a certain type or style of cache and try to figure out how to find more caches like it. Some times they are directed to search by attributes, but often there is no attribute for the type of cache they are looking for or cache owners either don't use the attributes or use them incorrectly. In another thread on Letterbox Hybrids, I suggested that these caches be grandfathered because there is some confusion as to when to use this type. The guidelines are that a letterbox hybrid is simply a cache with a stamp in it. I can see that some geocachers may be interested in finding geocaches that use letterbox style clues as part of the hunt.

I would like to propose something like Waymarking categories be added. Members could propose categories of caches. A cache owner (or perhaps anybody) could submit a cache to be included in one or more categories. The categories would be managed by groups like those in Waymarking. The group officers would review the cache listing and decide whether the cache fits the category. Cachers could get a list of caches in the categories they are interested.

One way to implement this might be with the existing bookmark list feature. The group would manage a public, shared list of caches. In fact, today, any premium member could start a bookmark list and simply ask the community to nominate caches to his list. The only issue today is finding these list. The managed list would be keep in a directory like Waymarking categories that any member could access.