RINO HCX

Hello folks. Hasn't the Rino HCX series been out for a while now? I thought it was, but perhaps I'm wrong. Just wondering if anyone here has one, and have they noticed a difference in performance from the previous rinos. My reason for asking is that I intend to replace my GPSMAP 60cx with a Legend HCX. And my belief is that the new high sensitivity receiver chip in the Etrex HCX series will be the same as the one in the Rino HCX series. Hence, the curiosity!! Thanks.

Edited by GreatCanadian

Hello folks. Hasn't the Rino HCX series been out for a while now? I thought it was, but perhaps I'm wrong. Just wondering if anyone here has one, and have they noticed a difference in performance from the previous rinos. My reason for asking is that I intend to replace my GPSMAP 60cx with a Legend HCX. And my belief is that the new high sensitivity receiver chip in the Etrex HCX series will be the same as the one in the Rino HCX series. Hence, the curiosity!! Thanks.

Hi, I am replying to your Rino 530 question. The Rino 530 has been out for two years or at least thats when I bought my unit new. The Rino 530 HCx is coming out in a few weeks. You can order one now, but it's on a backorder bases, then when they come in they are shipped. I found I had many problems with the 530 at first. Sent it back three times because the radio and unit would come on all by itself sitting on the shelf. The reason, they at Garmin decided first was an on/off switch, then they sent me another one which did the same thing. Finally they said it had to do with (only when the rechargable battery was conectied, not the weaker alkaline set), that, what would happen is, the unit would come on whenever a weather alert would be detected by the unit's radio. Sounds like bull to me. How does it get a signal if the unit is off? But, finally, after the third time I found one which worked perfect and still have it. ALso, the units features are beyond compare. The new Rino 530 HCx coming out adds to those features by adding chip set (supposedly better quicker reception in deep canyons etc..) and also removable SD memory cards. The SD cards you can get huge ones, and put topo stuff on one, street stuff on another etc. I put the entire east coast of the US on one 512 mb card! Everything. Including the newest Garmin software (street stuff etc.). Well, good luck, I will get the RIno 530 HCx in the next two weeks, I am on backorder. When I do, we can talk again?

Well, good luck, I will get the RIno 530 HCx in the next two weeks, I am on backorder. When I do, we can talk again?

Interesting...hope that they have all the bugs worked out of the new ones!!..Then again, it won't surprise me if the new rino and etrex models are a little buggy at first...maybe it will take a few firmware updates to correct them all...that's usually what happens in most gps lines...i'm on backorder for a legend hcx....look forward to hearing from you when you receive your rino....i've been tempted for a LONG time to get the rino...i usually have a gps and 2-way radio with me, and it would be nice to have a combined unit. They are a little expensive because I would want the 530 hcx and not the 120 or 130 or that line. How do you find the radio in regards to effective distance for communication?