Garmin handheld questions

hyflyt

I've been researching the Venture Cx, Legend Cx & HCx, and Vista Cx & HCx. Apparantly the HCx versions will not be retailed for another 4-6 weeks...according to Garmin (although Tiger GPS claims they'll have them in two weeks). The Vista Cx has an electric compass. From the Garmin website, I cannot see any difference in the Venture Cx and Legend Cx except that the Legend comes with an SD card and USB cable. On gpsinformation.net, someone said that the Venture has "no map uploadable capability." What does that mean?

I'm leaning towards the Vista HCx, but not sure I can stand to wait "so long" for another toy.

Thoughts?

J

As far as I'm aware, the units are identical except for the card and USB (and the colour of course). If you purchase a micro SD card and have a spare mini-B USB cable (eg from your digital camera) then you will be able to download maps to the unit from your PC (only after buying the Mapsource software, though!).

On gpsinformation.net, someone said that the Venture has "no map uploadable capability." What does that mean?

I'm leaning towards the Vista HCx, but not sure I can stand to wait "so long" for another toy.

At least two possible meanings:

* the original venture (not cx) could not accept maps in the normal sense

* none of the etrex CX line (AFAIK) can accept maps without the microSD in there.