MAC OS 10

My husband just bought me a beautiful new Garmin eTrex Legend Cx. Unfortunately the software isn't compatable with my Mac OS10 computer. Does anyone have any suggestions on a unit that would be compatable or how to make this one work? :D

I have had good luck using 'Parallels'. A virtual machine emulator, it allows you the ability to run multiple,

and, or duplicate OSs on a computer. It seems kinda daunting at first but works quite well after a little

reading of all the "read-me's". Having been a MAC user since the gitgo Windows has been the crankiest

part, and even at that, only tedious because I don't totally know my way around in there yet.

Parallels=about $80.00

Windows XP service pack 2=about $99.00

If you're like me, you have a Mac because Windows blows! I use GPS Babel. It works great for transfering the .gpx files to my Garmin Legend C. You can also use it to convert the gpx file into many other formats or back into a gpx. If you insist on using the packaged Garmin software, then you'll have to run it on Windows. I have found no reason to do this. For geocaching, gps babel is all I need.

Check here: http://www.gpsbabel.org/index.html

Edited by -CacheMonkey-

Garmin is slowly adding support for OS X. They have a beta version of webupdate as well as a POI loader available.

The POI loader beta is at:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3497

THe WebUpdater beta is at:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-27

In addition there are a few geocaching specific programs for the Mac which have been pointed out by others already. You can also try a search for "Mac" through the forum and see what pops up. I've got a Mac and a PC so I usually just use the PC to load waypoints.

Garmin currently does not support Mac with their Mapsource product, but it is on the way. In my mind, that's a reason to stick with Garmin. If you don't need to load maps onto the unit, there are a number of programs that will transfer waypoints. GPSy has been mentioned, another commercial program (I use this) is MacGPS Pro. It will transfer waypoints, tracks & routes. You can also purchase USGS topo maps for viewing on your computer. They are useful for creating waypoints & routes and viewing tracks, but you can't load them onto the GPS.

Other programs for waypoint transfer include GPS Babel, LoadMyTracks, MacSimple GPS, MacCacher, and I am sure a couple I missed. Search the forum for threads on Mac software.