Questions from a n00b.

Is there a way to manually enter coordinates into my Garmin 60CSX as geocaches and then tell the unit "Go there" from "here" using roads, and not as the crow flies. I can't fly, and until I do I'm going to need roads.

I guess what I'm asking is, (since I cannot yet figure out GSAK) how can I tell my 60CSx what coordinates to find using available roads? Which menu is it located under? I haven't run across a How-To on the subject yet. I'll just write down the name/location/info on the cache on paper until I get the downloading/GPX/GSAK thing down. If I don't geocache soon I'm not going to.

I have a million questions about the technology side of geocaching, but my current frustrations would only be sated by chunking my GPSr into Lake Mohawk, whose coordinates, BTW, are N 34º 39.423; W088º 43.491. If my frustrations don't cease pretty soon I'm going to be gifting this Garmin and saying to heck with the lot of it. :o

Edited by Cadavillac

Is there a way to manually enter coordinates into my Garmin 60CSX as geocaches and then tell the unit "Go there" from "here" using roads, and not as the crow flies. I can't fly, and until I do I'm going to need roads.

I guess what I'm asking is, (since I cannot yet figure out GSAK) how can I tell my 60CSx what coordinates to find using available roads? Which menu is it located under? I haven't run across a How-To on the subject yet. I'll just write down the name/location/info on the cache on paper until I get the downloading/GPX/GSAK thing down. If I don't geocache soon I'm not going to.

I have a million questions about the technology side of geocaching, but my current frustrations would only be sated by chunking my GPSr into Lake Mohawk, whose coordinates, BTW, are N 34º 39.423; W088º 43.491. If my frustrations don't cease pretty soon I'm going to be gifting this Garmin and saying to heck with the lot of it. :o

Not a tough one to overcome :P

What you need to do is mark a coordinate first. One way is to simply hit the "mark" button then enter the proper coordinates of your geocache(as the one it will show is for your current position). Then highlight the symbol of waypoint on the top left of that screen and pick the "closed treasure chest" icon.

Hit save.

Now, from there all you have to do is hit the "find" key, select your destination and it will calculate your route there.

I'm assuming you have maps like Topo or City Nav loaded on already.

You can also go to the menue screen on the unit and hit the "routes" icon. You can enter a starting and finishing location and it will calculate route for you that way as well. It should prompt you to either "follow road" or "off road" select "follow road" and you should be on your way!

You might be able to do it with one of the Garmin Street Map programs, but not with the topos. They don't auto-route. You would have to manually plot a route.

I use canada topo and it auto routes just fine.

It's the mapsource metroguide maps that do not autoroute.

Edited by vertigojunky

Maybe. The basemap is (IIRC) routable, so if you are close enough to main roads it might get you close that way. It's not too hard to explore in the general direction of the arrow until you get there. It's fun, actually.

And GSAK is not the best or most natural tool for a beginner. I think freeware EasyGPS is far more suited to your uses.

I should also point out that MetroGuide can autoroute.

If I remember, the only time I ever saw "on road/off road" was after I had bought a loaded the Garmin "National Parks" Topo maps. I mya be wrong, but i do not think the 60CSx comes with any maps to actually auto route you there?

The Canadian Topo does..I've never used the USA one yet but i'm told there are some major differences.