Internal antennae

npsh

It appears that the major (at least to me) difference between the Garmin eTrex series and 60 series is the internal antenna. I have used different models of these, but never side by side. Has anyone had a chance to do a valid comparison of their relative effectiveness? I'm thinking the new eTrex with the high sensitivity receiver might work pretty well, even in a car.

There are lots of models and lots of differences in reception.... The antenna seems to have little effect.... The type of receiver seems to be the big factor.

The original etrex line (all grayscale) had (have) a Garmin receiver and the poorest reception of the bunch.

The 60C(S) models came out later and still had a Garmin receiver, but MUCH better reception.

The Etrex "C" models then showed up and have similar reception to the 60C(S)

Next came the 60C(S)x models with SirfIII receiver. They are another step above the older models.....

Later this year the etrex line is being upgraded with Sirf type receivers and should be as good as the 60C(S)x models.

Edited by Red90

That was the impression I got with my limited experience. I was wondering how orientation-sensitive the patch antenna is.

Any idea when the etrex upgrade is actually going to be available? They officially announced it only recently.

That was the impression I got with my limited experience. I was wondering how orientation-sensitive the patch antenna is.

Both types of antenna are orientation sensitive. Quad helix like to be vertical and patch horizonatal (parallel to the ground). I'd give an estimate of 30% loss in reception when held in the wrong way for either type and current model receivers based on my own testing.

Edited by Red90

It appears that the major (at least to me) difference between the Garmin eTrex series and 60 series is the internal antenna. I have used different models of these, but never side by side. Has anyone had a chance to do a valid comparison of their relative effectiveness?

I have used a 60Csx and eTrex Venture side by side. One of the biggest differences I've noticed is that the 60CSx seems to "settle down" faster after being in a moving car or on a bicycle. If the cache is near the stopping area the person holding the 60Csx will almost always zero in on it first.

I had an opportunity to test the 60CSx in extreme canyon conditions in Zion National Park recently. My track logs show that although it will hold a lock in Icebox Canyon or parts of The Narrows, performance is noticeably affected. The track logs wandered all over the place as the sky slice narrowed. The eTrex (and a 60CS) could not maintain a lock in the deep canyons.

One benefit of the 60 Cs line is that it has an external antenna connector. You can pick up a Gilsson external antena for about $25. The one I use slips nicely in the top pouch of my bush hat, which helps under really challenging conditions, like deep canyons.

One benefit of the 60 Cs line is that it has an external antenna connector. You can pick up a Gilsson external antena for about $25. The one I use slips nicely in the top pouch of my bush hat, which helps under really challenging conditions, like deep canyons.

Yes, but for current models it make little difference for hiking use.