Caches along a route

jim-co

The forums say you are a premium member, so you will be able to get caches along a route.

What you have to do is install google earth on your computer. Then you enter in the starting and ending point and google earth will create a route for you. You have to save the file that it creates for the route and upload it to a special page for it on geocaching. You can then choose that route to run as a pocket query. It will even let you plug in the distance from your route that you want to search. It defaults at .5 miles, but you can change it up to 5 or so. I think the limit is 500 miles/500 caches for the query. If your trip is longer than that (or if google earth tries to route you a way you don't want to go) you might need to break the trip up into smaller segments.

To do all this, go to the pocket query page : http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

near the top of the page there are two options: create new query and find caches along a route.

Clicking on "Find caches along a route" will take you to a page with some instructions and links for you : http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

There is another way, if you don't need automation or aren't a premium member. On the advanced search page, there is an option to search with Google Maps. Since the map is draggable, you can go along the precise route you plan to take and see what caches are there. I do this fairly frequently.