Hand mad geocoin

Ble68

Hi I am not sure what you would call this. I made it to be a hand made geocoin but I do not know what you would concider that. Please help me. I may decide to hold a cointest for this. It is made of clay. It is the very original!! It is hand painted and of course it looks nothing like it was minted.0527071724.jpg0527071724a.jpg

What do you think?

Hello Ble, I have some claytokens that cachers made. None of them look like that tho. I don't know if they have been doing it longer and know some tricks for them. I have not made any so I can't give you any. I would say keep the first one. I keep all of the first tokens I make. I would have to say being your first claytoken not a bad job. I like it but I like the homemade tokens most because of the time and effort that someone puts into a token rather than a token that they just buy from someone. If you ever decide to do some trading homemade tokens for homemade tokens please let me know I would like to trade for one. GeoSmurfz

edit to add: if it looks the way it seems to me in the photo. That there is areas raised and non raised that would be a cool way to make a stamp for wooden nickles.

Edited by GeoSmurfz

Keep practicing, each one will improve. Baked clay is very easy to carve, you might consider making the basic shape and then bake. After it cools carve the letters and fill in with different color clay and bake again. Experiment with different things, it is fun. For a shiny look you can paint on a glaze, should be available where you buy your clay. If you make enough to trade let me know.

I actually painted these!

It looks great!

I think that I would "press" it a little to reduce the amount that the numbers stick up. The more that they stick up, the more likely they are to get knocked off. Keep the lip on the edge, that will protect the raised areas on the face, so add the face and reverse, put it on a cookie sheet sprayed with oil, then press down gently with something smooth like the bottom of a glass (also sprayed with oil/Pam) You want the design to stick up just enough that it is easy to paint. Then add the edge piece, press it, but not as much. Bake it and it should hold up well.

Take a look at Play Dough extrusion kits, you may find letters and numbers that will be useful to trim and use on the face.

Id be in for a contest for that!

Another suggestion is to make a stamp...even from the clay! Then you could just stamp em, bake em, and paint em! Much quicker and they would look as good as the stamp that you made.

Great to see the handmade stuff out there! Ive got some catchin up on homemade coins too! Ive owed Summerandnana one ever since Easter. I had her drop the one I sent and I havent made any since! Got some new paints and havent even tried them yet...Im Slackin on that...BIG TIME!

Once you find your process- It will be easy to make em. Just takes a few to get it right how you like it without spendin 1.5 hours per coin. I usually make 4-5 at a time.