How do I generate pocket queries?

jvswan

Well, I just upgraded my membership, activated it from the code I received by email, and I still can't figure out how to get an archive of .gpx waypoints. I've spent an hour poking around, seeing if there is something that I missed, but I can't figure it out. It's probably some dumb little link that I have overlooked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is normal. You can download the .gpx files directly from each cache page, but the best thing to do is get pocket queries. You create Pocket Queries from the link on your My Account page.

There is a variety of software available to choose from to handle all that data, but may people use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). If you have a PDA, you can cache "Paperless" using software like Cachemate.

I think that it would be desirable to be able to 'cherry pick' caches to be downloaded. It's inefficient to do so on an individual basis, so of course a PQ is the way to go. HOWEVER, in order to do this for a random selection of caches, you still have to make individual bookmarks to a particular BM file, and then run your PQ. How nice it would be to be able to pick several caches in a list and then with one click at the bottom of the page, bookmark them all into the same [pre-created] BM file.

I note that when I list caches by any criterion, the option exists to download some or all of them--as the OP notes only in .loc format. A similar option should apply to premium members to be able to bookmark some or all caches on a page.

ve1bvd

That would be nice, but you can order PQs with specific criteria. If you only want caches that are on hiking trails, get a PQ for caches with a Terrain rating of 2.5 and above. If you don't want to look for any Micros, don't include that size in the PQ criteria.

If you are going on a road trip and won't have time for anything but the easy caches, get your PQs for only caches that have a difficulty of under '2' and a terrain rating of under '2'.

Then, using a program like GSAK, you can Export to your own mapping program and cherry pick them from there.

On a trip, when I knew I was going to be caching with some new people, I filtered in GSAK to get only caches that were 'Small' or larger. That way were weren't looking for any Micros that day. :anicute: