1gig or 2?

Hi, I'm new to this and just ordered a venture cx. I noticed on the garmin website that this model has no built in memory. Does this mean that I will not be able to store waypoints/tracks, etc without buying a card?

My second question is I do plan on eventually buying the mapsource maps to take advantage of the autorouting features of the unit, but I'm wondering how large of a memory card I will need to store it? I know you can load individual areas but I'd really like to just load the whole thing and have it all on there (if it's possible). I know you can pick up memory cards pretty cheap but I don't want to buy a 2 gig if it would be total overkill.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried doing a search.

I have the same GPS and have a 512 mb card. Personally, I can load the entire southeast US from metroguide and it takes up about 230 mb. You could probably load the entire United States on a 2 gig card. All waypoints are stored in the built in memory but you are limited to 500 of them. With a card, you can store as many POI as you want. I like having different maps like TOPO and metroguide and some custom ones every now and then so you might want to go with the 2 gig because I know that you can always go too small but never too large.

Hi, I'm new to this and just ordered a venture cx. I noticed on the garmin website that this model has no built in memory. Does this mean that I will not be able to store waypoints/tracks, etc without buying a card?

My second question is I do plan on eventually buying the mapsource maps to take advantage of the autorouting features of the unit, but I'm wondering how large of a memory card I will need to store it? I know you can load individual areas but I'd really like to just load the whole thing and have it all on there (if it's possible). I know you can pick up memory cards pretty cheap but I don't want to buy a 2 gig if it would be total overkill.

I don't have any experience with the venture cx. I have the legend cx, which will hold up to 500 waypoints (so I can download 500 caches to it). I don't know what the venture can hold. As far as the maps go, I have a 1 gig card for my gps. It can't hold the entire US (or I'm pretty sure it can't), but it can hold pretty large chunks of it. I *think* a 2 gig one will pretty much hold the entire thing, but that's my memory from a year or so ago when I was looking into the mapping software.

The Venture Cx does have internal memory on which the basemap, firmware, tracks, waypoints, and routes are stored. You only need a card if you plan on loading detail maps.

I GB cards are dirt cheap, I just picked one up for about $6 shipped (after rebate). That's plenty of memory for all but the most serious traveler. The entire US from CityNav v8 NT will fit on 1 GB. Less if you get the non-NT version.

I have a Venture Cx with a 2gb card. I paid about $40 for the card. There were cheaper ones available but you get what you pay for. Cheaper cards are made of cheaper materials and they will deterioate quicker. Unless you plan on downloading lots of maps, a 1gb card should be sufficient, but I grabbed the 2gb just in case.

As mentioned above, the Venture does have an internal memory, but not for maps. With the external card, you load up the maps, POIs, and an option to save tracks as well if you get close to the 10000 point limit on the internal memory cell.

It has no *map* memory. Waypoints live in the gps.

In gps: waypoints, tracks (I think)

Card: POI, maps, gpx-exported tracks.

2GB will allow all of CONUS I am pretty sure.

It is traditional at this point for me to beat the dead of horse of mentioning that MetroGuide will autoroute on your CX.

The City Nav NA is about 1.6 gb and about 300 tiles. That leaves a bit of space for some topo maps, and some custom POIs and tracks.

City Nav NA NT is just under 1gb, and is about 60 tiles. I think it will just about fill a 1 gb card. NT uses a different compression, and it incompatible with some units. AFAIK, it is compatible with all the "x" models.